News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac Special Option Packages?

Started by colinlikens, April 03, 2020, 08:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinlikens

So I'm also a member of the Buick Club of America because of my '78 wagon.  (BTW:  While they have a good website and they're a good group, their discussion forums are not nearly as alive with interesting conversation and conviviality as this one.  This is a great group!)

But in looking through some things I came across a "W51" option for the 1985 Riviera, which included very handsome leather and suede seats, stitched leather door panels, and thick, genuine walnut panels on the doors and dashboard.  Basic Rivs from that era were lovely cars.  But I do find this pretty terrific.  And despite admiring those cars for years I've only discovered this now.

So that got me wondering, anyone aware of factory packages that Cadillac offered?  I know my '73 Eldorado could be customized from the factory in a number of ways.  "Maximum Leather" meaning it covered all parts of the seats instead of just the seat facings.  Contrasting color "laces", a.k.a. piping, on the upholstery.  And I know about custom color ordering.  But besides thoroughly marketed packages Biarritz, Elegante, D'Elegance, etc. were there unique option packages that occasionally came along?

I'd love to know as much about any semi-custom FACTORY option packages as members can share.  I'm not asking about dealership ad-ons or George Barris type stuff, but things that GM had a plan and code for.

Thanks for whatever good info is likely to follow.

Colin
1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

Cadillac Fleetwood

Two come readily to mind.

The 1979 Coupe DeVille d'Marchand, which had a special Slate Firemist and black paint scheme with the color separation accomplished with red pinstripes, and a leather interior with gray and black leather, with red piping around the inserts in the cushions and backrests.

1979 also featured the Phaeton, which was available either as a coupe or a sedan.  There were three color schemes if memory serves:  Cotillion White with dark blue roof, white leather and dark blue trim; Western Saddle Firemist, with dark brown roof, and Western Saddle leather; and Slate Firemist with black roof, and Antique Slate Gray leather interior.  These cars featured what looked like an erected convertible top, what we would call a carriage roof today.  They had "Phaeton" script.  This special edition is depicted in the 1979 showroom brochure.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Big Apple Caddy

Cadillac offered "Spring Edition" or "Spring Special" models from 1987 into the 1990s, mostly on DeVilles but also some Eldorados.  These packages typically included things like cabriolet/phaeton roof, gold trim, leather interior (some 2-tone), etc.

In 1986, Cadillac offered the "America II" edition Eldorado to commemorate the America's Cup sailing yacht of the same name of which Cadillac was a sponsor.  The car had 2-tone paint, Biarritz leather interior, walnut trim instrument panel, America II medallions, etc.  Production was limited to 1,987 units (1987 being the year of the race).

Rich S

Cadillac has continued to offer "Special Editions" of various models. Additional examples are the 1992 Eldorado Coupe "Stars and Stripes" special edition. It can be seen at this video of a commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM4sMBpKuiI

Or here is an article about this unique Eldorado:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1290&dat=19920229&id=gfdTAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5YwDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6818,7177560

The 1992 Eldorado Coupe "Stars and Stripes" edition was finished in Dark Sapphire Blue (metallic) with a Neutral Shale Leather interior, and in addition to special badging on the bodyside moldings, it featured a specially painted grill, more standard options and added unique wood trim for the interior. It was really a nice looking vehicle, in my opinion, and it should be quite collectible.

More recently, there was the 2013 CTS  models in "Stealth Blue Special Edition" or "Frost Silver" Special Edition, the latter being a unique "matte finish" exterior paint. They were offered on the CTS-V Series Coupes, Sedans and Wagons and the base CTS Coupes. I purchased a 2013 CTS Coupe Stealth Blue Special Edition, and mostly the V-Series cars were built with the option--by a large margin. For a car such as mine, it was a $4,400 plus option and included many factory options with the package, plus unique exterior and interior touches. My car has the Stealth Blue Metallic exterior color (only available with the Special Edition) and a Twilight Blue Leather and Alcantara Suede interior, and it has a unique smoked grill, the V-Series center high mounted stop lamp with spoiler design, the midnight "piano" Sapele burled wood interior trim, and included the Premium Luxury package with Navigation, Rain Sensing Wipers, etc. The Frost Silver cars also came with added options as standard equipment. I will attach a few pictures of the car I have to this post. There were very few of these special editions built in 2013.

For 2014 there was a Special Edition of the ATS Sedan and it featured a unique Crimson (metallic) paint and other special features. It is described here:   https://www.motor1.com/news/45464/2014-cadillac-ats-crimson-special-edition-quietly-announced/

For 2019 there was another ATS Special Pedestal Edition described here:  https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/en/cadillac/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/oct/1024-pedestal-edition.html

Around 2018 or 2019, there had also been a CTS V-Series in the Bronze Sand Metallic color, although I am not certain it was a Special Edition or a color only offered on that model at the time.

In my opinion, the Special Editions are usually especially nice vehicles.

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe