News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 limo windlace fiasco...

Started by 1969cadillac, April 04, 2020, 07:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969cadillac

Hello out there .. well the saga of trying to finish my 69 limo continues....please pardon my explanation if it is not clear enough..as I get older I find it harder to express what I am thinking!

I love the mechanical work being a retired motor mech. but find jobs like replacing the wind lacing a bit out of my league . Prob is the way that caddy did it to start with.....but I guess it was the way that it was done back then ...  The windlace is sewn to the B pillar post inside trim and in other places a cardboard former? (for want of a better word ) is sewn to the windlace , then this is stapled to thicker formers which have been screwed into the sheet metal - pls see pics attached . When they have done all this at the factory the headlining is put in using the usual metal bars across the car roof and also staples are used at the rear of the headliner. Of course to remove the windlace you are meant to take the headliner out! NO WAY!! if I took it out it would fall apart due to the age of it AND I have NO $$ for a new one . I already have new windlace. My idea was to unstaple the windlace in the areas that I can get to and where it goes up under the headliner just very carefully cut the old stuff out.... 

An upholsterer suggested that I use : https://jerdus.com/permatex-27828-headliner-adhesive-aerosol-193800hbnu9k/

It sounds like good stuff ! I was thinking I could glue the new wind lace ( the new wind lace doesn't have a former piece sewn into it like the original )   to the B pillar cardboard with this Permatex glue.

On the other areas I could just use thumb tacks to attach it to the thick formers.

Where it goes up under the head liner I could either use the Permatex glue to glue to made up cardboard or plastic formers - then push it up in there / or / and run some clear silicone up in there to help it stay there !

Q. does this sound like a plan or if someone out there has done this before.... is there a better more efficient way ?

thanks , Murray Mules

James Landi

Looks to be a tedious and  very difficult process, yet, you're apparently making progress...I trust someone in the club will provide some sage advice... And thank you for introducing a new term in to my lexicon of car components.  Wind lace is new to me, although I am so very familiar with it having owned many decades old Cadillacs that extensively used it as interior trim. Apparently, it was used not only as handsome trim, but more practically, as a way to reduce wind noise (?).   James