News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Amber light behind 1976 Eldorado grill

Started by cbusguy, April 04, 2020, 06:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbusguy

I purchased a 1976 Eldorado convertible this past fall and put it in storage almost immediately. Upon installing the battery this weekend I noticed there was a small amber light behind the grill just off center, toward the drivers side, see pictures. However, it doesn’t light up with the flashers or any other lights on the car.

Any clue what this?

James Landi

I believe that's part of the auto high beam head light dimmer... others will need to respond to verify.   James

35-709

Right, that is the sensor for the auto headlight dimmer --- it does not light up.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

Its the option called Twilight Sentinel.   When turned on it dims the headlights when another car is approaching from the opposite direction.

The Twilight Sentinel on my 68 ELDO never goes to high beam on the road.  The reflectors on the dividing line and the reflective signs keep it on low beam all the time.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sorry Glen, but it isn't the Twilight Sentinal, as that is on the top of the dash, and it measures the light that comes from the sky overhead, turning the lights off at dawn, and on at dusk..

The Grille unit is the option called Auto Dimming (well, it is on my '72).   When turned on it dims the headlights when another car is approaching from the opposite direction.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Glen

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 05, 2020, 04:01:26 AM
Sorry Glen, but it isn't the Twilight Sentinal, as that is on the top of the dash, and it measures the light that comes from the sky overhead, turning the lights off at dawn, and on at dusk..

The Grille unit is the option called Auto Dimming (well, it is on my '72).   When turned on it dims the headlights when another car is approaching from the opposite direction.

Bruce. >:D

Your right my mistake.  In 68 it is called Guide-Matic.  I should know better,   :-\
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cbusguy

Thanks guys! My Eldorado does have Guide-Magic so this makes sense.