News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1946 backup light switch

Started by Daniel Szydel, April 05, 2020, 05:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Szydel

I have a backup light switch for my 46 but I can’t recall how it bolts to the trans. I don’t believe there was any linkage either.

Below is a picture of where I think it goes.
Is this the correct switch and bracket and does anyone have the linkage for sale or some dimensions so I can make it?

Thanks
Dan
1946 Cadillac Convertible
1931 Ford Model A Coupe

Jeff Hansen

Dan,

Yes, you have the correct switch and bracket.  I'd have to crawl under my '42 to be certain (it uses the same switch and bracket), but your switch orientation appears correct from my memory.  I'll see if I can get a photo of the linkage piece and some measurements in the next day or so.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Dan: Picture below is the back up switch and mounting bracket on my 47. The bracket on my car appears to be a little longer than yours but as long as the bracket is mounted to the bottom bolts of the tyranny tail, it should make no difference. It will be a week before I could get some pictures of the length of the actuating rod that attaches to the arm on the back up switch. I am sure Jeff will have a good picture of the linkage rod before that.  I do not know if there were any changes on mounting hardware between 42,46 and 47.  Bill

Daniel Szydel

Thanks Jeff and Bill, It looks like my bracket is cut off.  It makes sense that it catches two bolts on the tail shaft housing.

I appreciate you getting me the measurements on the rod!

Dan
1931 Ford Model A Coupe

Jeff Hansen

Dan,

Please see below for photo and dimensions of the actuating rod for the reverse light switch.  Sorry, it is too cramped underneath my car to get a good photo.  The flattened end of the rod with the hole attaches to the same clevis pin holding the lever coming down from the column shifter to the shift arm on the side of the transmission.  You'll need a threaded pin (not sure what the proper term is) to attach the other end of the rod to your switch.  This is the same type of pin you'll find on your throttle linkage.

BTW, my bracket is like yours in that it only attaches to the transmission with one bolt.  Bill's bracket seems like a better idea.

Hope this is helpful to you!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Daniel Szydel

Jeff, thats exactly what I need! Thanks!
1931 Ford Model A Coupe