News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 CDV Heater Control Valve - Works backwards?

Started by JohnnyRockit, April 09, 2020, 06:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyRockit

Hi all, this is a bit of a saga...I had a couple of water leaks in the passenger side cowl area that led to me having to replace both front and rear floors that side last month. Then, once i had a decent floor to lay on, i started tracking down the leaks. I could replicate both of them with a hose and deduced one was coming from the heater core box area and the other was from the air conditioning evaporator area.

So, I started disassembling and got the air box off of the firewall and then the heater core and it's housing out as well. I found the cause of both leaks and addressed them. Then time to reassemble.

On a side note, I've never had heat from the heater although all the controls slide smoothly and the ac works great as long as it's got a charge. When I disassembled the heater core area, the cable that is hooked up to the heater control valve wasn't tight in it's clamp and therefore didn't really actuate the valve.

I just finished reassembly today. Everything seems to work except I now have heat almost ALL THE TIME. The only way I can get the hot air to calm down is to move the temp slider all the way to the right where it's says "Warmer". This is backwards obviously. I'm thinking this car has an incorrect heater control valve. From my memory of looking at at, it is a Ranco H16.

I don't see another way to hook up the cable. I tested with a warm engine and a digital thermometer and got 180 degrees with the slider all the way to the left, which is the "Off" position. When I moved the slider to the right (Warmer) the heater core began to cool.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Johnny
1962 Coupe Deville
2016 ELR