News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Whats up w/ USA Parts Supply?

Started by David Greenburg, April 06, 2020, 04:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I'm guessing that I'm not the only one spending more time perusing Hemmings these days.  But I happened to come across an ad in the real estate section for a "30+ year established classic car parts sales facility specializing in Cadillac and Oldsmobile" located in Kearneysville, WV and currently in operation that is being auctioned off by a court-appointed sales agent.  Sounds like a possible bankruptcy situation.

http://www.arringtonauction.com 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

TJ Hopland

Any clues as to whether this was something that has been brewing for a while or if its due to recent international events?

Does anyone know much about the company?   Is / was it a family or just one person or a side biz or what?   I remember somehow finding them and getting a catalog around 1990.   I think a parts guy at a dealership even pulled out a catalog and recommended I try them back around that same time period too.   I know its been 15+ years since I have bought anything from them.   Wasn't anything wrong with them just haven't needed anything that only they had.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Thanks for posting this.  It is USA Parts that's been put
up for auction by court order.  However, in checking the
details on the website the auction was supposed to start
March 17th but has been "postponed".  Possible virus
issues?

It is a shame since they were a good source of original
and reproduction parts.  I've used them on several
occasions and was very satisfied.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Scot Minesinger

That sucks.  I just bought from them last week.  I will call over there in next day or two and report what I can back.  I have been there several times and it was always fruitful.

Civil courts are mostly closed in our area (that is WV, and I live in VA where civil courts are closed until June 10, 2020).  Any creditor that may benefit from this sale, certainly would be interested in it being delayed.

Can that link be re-posted it is the format where you cannot click on it?  This Corona induced upcoming recession is going to really do a number on our hobby, especially the vendors.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

David Greenburg

They were not one of my regular "go-tos,"  but over the years I certainly purchased a number of things from them.  I believe they were one of the sponsors of the 2017 GN, and one of the excursions, which I did not do, was a field trip to their facility.  I do remember chatting with a couple of their people at the booth they had at the GN. 

Scott- I used the web link button in my message and pasted the link between the brackets.  Tell me what I did wrong and I'll repost.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Cadman-iac

I hadn't heard from/of them in years. I remember getting catalogs from them when I was still working at the dealership.  But when OPGI began selling Cadillac parts, I thought they had bought USA parts, because the catalog was almost identical. OPGI has since expanded their offerings, and I'm sure this is part of the reason for USA Parts going out of business. 
It's a real shame though.  Because if it's not made here, it will be made overseas,  and we all know what you get from them.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

76eldo

Must have been in the works for a while.
You don’t go out of business in 3 weeks due to the virus.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Daryl Chesterman

Here is a clickable link to the USA Parts auction posting.  Scroll down a little bit to see the listing.

http://www.arringtonauction.com

Daryl Chesterman

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

That's too bad. Hopefully the new owner will have it up and running again.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: 76eldo on April 06, 2020, 06:55:31 PM

My comment that mentioned "virus related" was meant to
speculate on the delay in the court mandated auction,
not as a reason for their going out of business.  Our district
courts in PA are closed right now as well.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

I heard they are going thru a bankruptcy. I'm not sure if it's Chapter 7 or 11?
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Scot Minesinger

Mike, Brian, yes.

If the sale is court mandated, could mean anything from dispute with prior owner's estate, tax issues, profitability and the like.  This has likely been brewing for a little while, because a court ordered sale (the sale has not happened yet) is nothing that happens fast.  And now with the courts and economy where they are, it will linger even longer and consumer discretionary industries like these may wane in the near future.

Hate to read about stuff like this.  Seems we read about Marty at MTS, and others leaving the business but not too many folks getting into the business.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jason Edge

I have nothing but respect for USA Parts & Supply. It was the 1st go to parts supplier phone # I learned by heart (1-800-872-2013) when I bought my 1st Cadillac back in 1996 and started looking for parts. I've bought from them dozens of times and have never been disappointed. They are often the 1st place I send people to when they need something that I don't have for the 1963/64 Cadillacs. In recent years, most of my dealings with USA parts has been thru manager Mike Cannan, when they needed a 63/64 Cadillac sourced part for their customers. Again, nothing but positive experiences with Mike and USA Parts. It is sad they are going through bankruptcy and if they fold will be sorely missed.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Executive Vice President
CLC 1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - www.6364Cadillac.com
CLC Carolina Region Webmaster - www.CRCLC.org
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Cape Cod Fleetwood

What a shame, I got a lot of things from them for The Ark. Always pleased with the quality, price and
fairly quick shipping.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Glen

Quote from: David Greenburg on April 06, 2020, 06:42:32 PM
Scott- I used the web link button in my message and pasted the link between the brackets.  Tell me what I did wrong and I'll repost.

Looks like you lost a character, the end tag should be [/url]
Easy to do. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 06, 2020, 09:21:01 PM
Mike, Brian, yes.

If the sale is court mandated, could mean anything from dispute with prior owner's estate, tax issues, profitability and the like.  This has likely been brewing for a little while, because a court ordered sale (the sale has not happened yet) is nothing that happens fast.  And now with the courts and economy where they are, it will linger even longer and consumer discretionary industries like these may wane in the near future.

Hate to read about stuff like this.  Seems we read about Marty at MTS, and others leaving the business but not too many folks getting into the business.

What, MTS is gone too? what happened there?

I've used USA parts supply on and off for over 20 years. Never received anything that I had to send back.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Roger Zimmermann

Well, I must be an exception: after some differences, I decided never again.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: David Greenburg on April 06, 2020, 06:42:32 PM
They were not one of my regular "go-tos,"  but over the years I certainly purchased a number of things from them.  I believe they were one of the sponsors of the 2017 GN, and one of the excursions, which I did not do, was a field trip to their facility.  I do remember chatting with a couple of their people at the booth they had at the GN. 

I fixed it for you - was just missing a [ on the [/url] tag.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: 76eldo on April 06, 2020, 06:55:31 PM

More still, a lot has to take place before going up for bankruptcy sale. This could have been in the making for a year or more.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

35-709

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on April 07, 2020, 02:43:16 AM
What, MTS is gone too? what happened there?

I've used USA parts supply on and off for over 20 years. Never received anything that I had to send back.

After Marty died, his brother, Paul, started another company (possibly with someone else, I am not sure of the whole story), Cadillac High Performance, https://cadillachighperformance.com/  located in New Baden, IL.
MTS is no longer but Cadillac High Performance (CHP) does much of the same thing and have expanded their offerings as well.  Have had no dealings with CHP but dealt with MTS a fair amount.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2