News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

53 windshield trim removal.

Started by Valts, April 06, 2020, 05:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valts

Hi!
Friend started long awaited 53 coupe restoration project but cant figure out how to remove upper-smaller trim of windhield and same also on rear glass.

Thicker piece is fastened thru firewall with long bolts and nuts and can be removed altought some butterfly nuts are hard to reach from inside.

V. Kulvi

G Pennington

The upper piece is held in place by the windshield gasket.  You will probably have to cut the rubber to get it off.  Of course that means removing the windshield and replacing the gasket.  Suggest you just leave it in place if you don't to get that deep into it.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

I second what Gary said. It took Steele Rubber 4 tries for my 53 Series 62. My restorer had to drive there, which I paid for, with the gasket to prove it was wrong. Only then did they agree that the mold was wrong. In the midst of this mess they stated "we have sold over 500 of these with no problems". Well, simple math should tell you that is unlikely. It's a very difficult job and there are few "old timers" left that can install a gasket into the body with certain parts already in place and install the glass at the same time.

Jim
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

Valts

Thank you for replies, it helped a lot.
There seem to be small hooks or bent sections on that upper trim that go inside the rubber gasket. Tension holds it in place.

We will think about leaving the glass and trim in place but my friend is quite experienced restorer and he likes to go as far as possible.  Windshield also has some bad spots.
V. Kulvi