News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Gravel guards for 1930's cars

Started by Tom Beaver, April 09, 2020, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Beaver

I have a 1938 LaSalle and the factory gravel guards are next to worthless, which didn't bother me until I moved to a new house that requires an approximate 1/2 mile drive on a gravel road.  Driving that stretch of road I could hear gravel hitting the underside of the car and after the last trip I closely inspected the vehicle and discovered a dent in each of the rear fenders from rocks being thrown up by the rear tires.  So I parked it.  My question is: has anyone had any experience with protecting the underside of the fenders on these cars from these types of gravel strikes?

I have subsequently repaired the dents and have protected the rear fenders by using the polypropylene inner fender liners from a late model Dodge pickup.  I got the liners from a wrecking yard and with a little cutting and welding they fit nicely under the rear fenders of the LaSalle.  Those big front fenders are a different deal and I don't know what to do with them.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tom Beaver

35-709

Tom,
Some '30s car owners use a product called "Rattle Trap" on the inside of their fenders.  It is mostly used as a sound insulator on floorboards but works very well as a shield against stone damage.  It sticks like crazy and if the inside of your fender is free of dirt and grease and the like, it won't come off.  The exterior surface of the Rattle Trap is shiny aluminum but it can be painted or shot with a light coating of rattle can undercoat.  It can also be ordered without their logo but it is still shiny aluminum.  Dynamat is the same type of product but is more expensive, probably because they advertise a lot and donate to restoration and street rod projects that are featured in magazines to get their name out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Fatmat-Self-Adhesive-RattleTrap-Deadener-Install/dp/B003TUNRGM
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Tom Beaver

Thank you for the reply, I had thought about using that type of sound deadner because I used a similar brand on the inside of the car when I restored it, but I was concerned about how well it would adhere to the underside of the fenders and how well it would hold up to gravel strikes.  It wouldn't have worked for the rear fenders because of how they attach to the body but for the front fenders it may be ok and maybe the brand you recommended has better adhesion than what I used.  I think I will get a bit of it and give it a try.

Thanks again.

Tom Beaver

35-709

:)  You're welcome.  Hope it works for you.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

z3skybolt

Tom,

My comments are not really responsive but just adding personal experience. I have a beautifully restored 1940 LaSalle 5227, owned it for 4 years and have driven in over 8,000 miles.   I live on a private gravel road that is 1.1 miles from the blacktop county highway.  The LaSalle is really too nice to drive on gravel but I bought it to drive....so.  I have driven the 2.2 miles round trip hundreds of times and have yet to experience the slightest dent. There are however 2 tiny paint chips on the rear fenders.

I drive 5 miles per hour on the gravel. That seems to prevent any stones from flying up and hitting the inside fenders. When I reach the blacktop I stop and inspect to see if any small gravel is lodged in the tread before increasing to higher speeds.  If so I pick them out with a screw driver. So far so good.

Of course it takes 12 or 13 minutes to travel that 1.1 miles. But hey....I am loving every minute behind the wheel. Just food for thought.

Happy Motoring,

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.