News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

52 series 62 hydramatic issue

Started by Omarine, April 12, 2020, 03:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omarine

Hello all,

Many chimed on on my misfire issue, and i think that’s resolved for now, so thanks.

I got the car in dec and although motor and trans were rebuilt, i think it sat for some years.

I keep finding issues that indicate another hobbyist was trying to make it work.

The gears shift well, except for 2-3. The others are noticeable but with 3rd i brace for impact.

My impression is a sticky valve or broken 2-3 spring.

Bands seem ok when stopped.

My plan was to first change fluid for dexron iii as i dont know what’s in it.

Issue seems to lessen as i drive but i don’t think ive put 100 mi on it yet.

Anyone have ideas? Really not looking forward to dropping transmission out of car if avoidable. In Orlando area...
Thanks everyone!

Happy Easter
Oscar
1949 Harley Davidson FL
1952 Cadillac Coupe de Ville
1961 Chevy Impala 2 dr hardtop

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

From my experience waking up our 55---
Wait before you change the fluid-- At least until everyone has had the chance to chime in. That's the advice I took and glad I did. I have never changed mine but it leaks enough that it is being changed slowly. Have about 3k on it now and I still see the old trans fluid color dripping so there is still a lot of old fluid in it still.

I see you haven't driven it much. Right now, don't change/adjust a thing unless you really have to. On the 55, things started getting better the more we drove it. You may just have varnish/gunk in there that will end up fixing itself.
Take that with a grain of salt because I admit I am from the drive it and see camp.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Omarine

Hello Jeff, thanks, that’s what i intend to do for now. The fact that it changes as it drives seems a bit promising. 

Regards
Oscar
1949 Harley Davidson FL

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Adjust the TV valve rod (kickdown rod) preferably as per the manual. Alternatively take it out on the road armed with your two spanners (wrenches) and road test it stopping every now and again to shorten or lengthen the rod until it shifts smoothly through the gears. Don't start attacking the internals until you've set it up correctly otherwise you will be looking for a problem that is not there. The adjustment is very sensitive, half a turn can make all the difference. Phil

Omarine

Hello Phil, thanks for the reply. I also failed to mention that i had to adjust the tv rod to get it to shift at the right speeds and now it is.

But all that didn’t change the extra harsh 3 rd gear. It almost sounds like a neutral drop.

Doesn’t take a long time, and the engine doesn’t rev high during the shift. It catches but super hard as if it were a neutral drop.

1949 Harley Davidson FL

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

The manual also has good diagnostic tests to do. I know I'm repeating myself but it can be as little as half a turn of the adjusting nut either way. In the manual it says to start with checking the lever on the transmission is in the correct position with a Kent-Moore tool and if it isn't then bending the lever with another KM tool. Then you set up the TV rod.