News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New Member with 66 Fleetwood Brougham in triple black

Started by scotth3886, April 13, 2020, 10:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotth3886

Just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm Scott with a newly acquired triple black 66 Fleetwood Brougham.  I bought the car that Classic Car Investments had on their site for the last couple of weeks.

The car was from the Scottsdale area and is an estate car.  Any additional info would be appreciated.  Before the dealer bought it, the seller was a local CLC Phoenix member.

This is my first old Cadillac, but since I'm a horrifically old geezer, it was my time.  I had many as new NorthStar STSs, Concours and DTSs in the 90s and early 2000s.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions so thanks in advance for putting up with me. 

This is it

https://www.classiccarsllc.com/vehicles/368/1966-cadillac-fleetwood-brougham

The wide whites are coming off today for narrow white.  I'll do the triple white stripes in the future sometime.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Welcome and wow. Enjoy it. There is an absolute wealth of info available on here (not me). So this site will be a valuable resourse to you. Post us pictures when you get it home.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

harry s

Scott, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your acquisition of a beautiful Cadillac. It's a great way to be nice to yourself.    Harry Scott
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

scotth3886

Thanks. 

It's here.  Doesn't quite fit in the garage though so I had to do a little 'damage' to the front wall.  I got it in, but still have to push out on the garage door to get it to clear when shutting or opening. 

Garage is 228" and car is 227.5"  I don't quite know how the car grew by a couple of inches. 

76eldo

Welcome !
Beautiful car with some beautiful 50’s Sabre wheels.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

scotth3886

I hope there's no safety issue with using 60+ year old alloy wheels.

Cadman-iac

Welcome to the club. I think you'll find a lot of helpful information and people here.
  That's a beautiful car, and quite the write up on it in the ad. You will get lots of pleasure out of it I'm sure.
Wish you many happy miles to come.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

scotth3886

A little over described, but I'm making my list to bring it up what it's supposed to be.   I'm super picky so much to do. 

One question though, are the truck kits the same for all 66s ?  Dimensionally, aft of the C-pillar, I suspect they're all the same.

V63

The gentleman’s name was ‘Patrick’ and he worked at the Cadillac assembly...I believe he put the bumpers on starting in 1960 if memory serves.

I helped him do something on the car a couple years ago but I can’t remember exactly what? 

I’ve had more than a few 66 Brougham’s in the past. One had seat warmers among every other available option. Another had the ‘embroidered’ seat option that is rare to find. Seems a pinnacle year for Cadillac craftsmanship in my opinion.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bill,

Congratulation on a really nice find. I’ve always felt the ’66 Brougham was one of the finest cars Cadillac ever built. In proper fit and finish they are silent and solid like a rolling bank vault.  They were built before the bean counters took control and have all the ginger bread and accessories that made Cadillac the envy of luxury car brands. Having restored one I can say they can be difficult and trying to work on for simple things like tail light and dash cluster bulb replacement, attaching interior door handle pulls, window adjustments among other “simple tasks”. That said, almost all of the mechanical and drive train components are bullet proof and easy to repair.
If you need hard to find parts , contact me as I have a remaining stash from my restoration.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

scotth3886

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on April 14, 2020, 09:54:40 AM
Bill,

Congratulation on a really nice find. I’ve always felt the ’66 Brougham was one of the finest cars Cadillac ever built. In proper fit and finish they are silent and solid like a rolling bank vault.  They were built before the bean counters took control and have all the ginger bread and accessories that made Cadillac the envy of luxury car brands. Having restored one I can say they can be difficult and trying to work on for simple things like tail light and dash cluster bulb replacement, attaching interior door handle pulls, window adjustments among other “simple tasks”. That said, almost all of the mechanical and drive train components are bullet proof and easy to repair.
If you need hard to find parts , contact me as I have a remaining stash from my restoration.

Ralph

Thanks.  Now, if I could only get my title and paid bill-of-sale.  Selling dealer seemed to lose all interest in completing the job after my wire cleared to pay for the car.  Starting to look like I'll have to get an Arizona attorney involved.  All this sours the experience a bit given that I paid a fairly premium price for the car from what I thought was a really reputable dealer.

The car had Coker bias ply wide whites on it when I got it, but I changed yesterday to narrow white wall radials.  I hate to say it, given how much I dislike wide whites on a post 1961 car, it sure didn't improve the looks of the car.  I may have to get another set of radial wide whites such as the Diamondback Classic Auburn series.  The narrow whites really pull the attention away from the wheels.  Sure drives better though.  I'll let it go as is for a while to see if I get used to, but I'm sure going to miss the pimp comments.

I had a string of new Cadillacs back in the 90s and early 2000s, 93 STS, 95 STS, 97 Concours, 2000 DTS and 2002 DTS, but never an old Cadillac.  61, 62 and 66 are my favorite years, but given my experience with other 65 and 66 B and C bodies, I figured the 66 would drive the best.  The 66 Fleetwood is a great driving car in spite of 4,800lb all fueled up.  It's super soft, but never bouncy and handles quite well for a motor home/cruise ship.  I might need somewhat firmer rear shocks. 

The only thing on my short list is a kickdown switch for a 66 Fleetwood.  I'm just starting my list so there will be other things I need. 

scotth3886

Quote from: scotth3886 on April 14, 2020, 10:54:18 AM
Thanks.  Now, if I could only get my title and paid bill-of-sale.  Selling dealer seemed to lose all interest in completing the job after my wire cleared to pay for the car.  Starting to look like I'll have to get an Arizona attorney involved.  All this sours the experience a bit given that I paid a fairly premium price for the car from what I thought was a really reputable dealer.

The car had Coker bias ply wide whites on it when I got it, but I changed yesterday to narrow white wall radials.  I hate to say it, given how much I dislike wide whites on a post 1961 car, it sure didn't improve the looks of the car.  I may have to get another set of radial wide whites such as the Diamondback Classic Auburn series.  The narrow whites really pull the attention away from the wheels.  Sure drives better though.  I'll let it go as is for a while to see if I get used to, but I'm sure going to miss the pimp comments.

I had a string of new Cadillacs back in the 90s and early 2000s, 93 STS, 95 STS, 97 Concours, 2000 DTS and 2002 DTS, but never an old Cadillac.  61, 62 and 66 are my favorite years, but given my experience with other 65 and 66 B and C bodies, I figured the 66 would drive the best.  The 66 Fleetwood is a great driving car in spite of 4,800lb all fueled up.  It's super soft, but never bouncy and handles quite well for a motor home/cruise ship.  I might need somewhat firmer rear shocks. 

The only thing on my short list is a kickdown switch for a 66 Fleetwood.  I'm just starting my list so there will be other things I need.

Great.  Just got my title.

Cadillac Fleetwood

Scott,
That's a BEAUTIFUL '66.  One might say that triple black is the quintessential color combination for the Fleetwood Brougham that year.  And it has the nicer of the two trim patterns available in the Fleetwoods that year. You may find that the 1.625" whitewall would be very handsome on this car. Glad to read that you got your title issue squared away.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

scotth3886

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on April 14, 2020, 02:14:38 PM
Scott,
That's a BEAUTIFUL '66.  One might say that triple black is the quintessential color combination for the Fleetwood Brougham that year.  And it has the nicer of the two trim patterns available in the Fleetwoods that year. You may find that the 1.625" whitewall would be very handsome on this car.

Charles Fares

Thanks

Yep, the wide whites really made the car pop, but next time I'll do it with a radial.  The narrow white radials are a big improvement in the way it drives, but a big downer for appearance, especially with the mid/late 50s Eldorado Sabre Wheels on it

James Landi

Loved all of my 20 plus Cadillacs over 5 1/2 decades; yet, the '65 and '66 seemed to me as near perfect a large sedan that was ever built in America-- the melding of a super strong post WWII economy, fit and finish excellence, and engineering perfection .  I do hope that it provides you with all the joy and pleasure it was initially intended when new... Congratulations,   James

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Were it up to me, I'd find a proper set of 1966 wheels & wheel covers and mount a set of correct triple WW biases as the Cadillac gods intended, pronto. The proceeds of the Sabre wheels on the car should be more than enough to offset the cost. It's certainly worth it if the car is all it appears to be.

Suspension on these cars were designed for biases which will help maintain proper height and ride quality. Radials, in my experience, will cause the car to ride more harshly than it should.

https://www.cokertire.com/900-15-bf-goodrich-triple-whitewall-tire.html
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Wonderful car!

Radial tires make for a way better ride and handling that bias plys - don't do it, keep the radials.  I do agree with Eric about the rims and hub caps, but nothing that has to be done today.  Triple stripe radial tires correct pattern for the car (or very close) are sold by Diamondback in radials and can be mounted on original rims with original wheel covers. 

Often rims/tires/hub caps original to the car are included in the sale - did you get those?

Generally when you buy a car like this you should drive it and live with it for a little while before doing anything.

Enjoy it!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

scotth3886

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on April 14, 2020, 03:34:18 PM
Were it up to me, I'd find a proper set of 1966 wheels & wheel covers and mount a set of correct triple WW biases as the Cadillac gods intended, pronto. The proceeds of the Sabre wheels on the car should be more than enough to offset the cost. It's certainly worth it if the car is all it appears to be.

Suspension on these cars were designed for biases which will help maintain proper height and ride quality. Radials, in my experience, will cause the car to ride more harshly than it should.

https://www.cokertire.com/900-15-bf-goodrich-triple-whitewall-tire.html

This is what I just took off, but in a wide white.  They sorta sucked. 

If I'm going to try to make it look like the 2019 Mecum Kissimmee car, I'll do with the Diamondback Auburn series.  This Kissimmee car also had the Coker's just as in your linked. 

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-359591/1966-cadillac-fleetwood-60-special-brougham/

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: scotth3886 on April 14, 2020, 04:42:29 PM
This is what I just took off, but in a wide white.  They sorta sucked. 

If I'm going to try to make it look like the 2019 Mecum Kissimmee car, I'll do with the Diamondback Auburn series.  This Kissimmee car also had the Coker's just as in your linked. 

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-359591/1966-cadillac-fleetwood-60-special-brougham/

I believe that's the car that was the subject of Ralph Messina's (who posted above) meticulous restoration - which is why it's wearing the tires it is. ;)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

scotth3886

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 14, 2020, 04:06:32 PM
Wonderful car!

Radial tires make for a way better ride and handling that bias plys - don't do it, keep the radials.  I do agree with Eric about the rims and hub caps, but nothing that has to be done today.  Triple stripe radial tires correct pattern for the car (or very close) are sold by Diamondback in radials and can be mounted on original rims with original wheel covers. 

Often rims/tires/hub caps original to the car are included in the sale - did you get those?

Generally when you buy a car like this you should drive it and live with it for a little while before doing anything.

Enjoy it!

No wheels or caps with the car.  I wouldn't mind having an extra set of triple whites and stock wheels for the big shows. 

Radials don't all ride and handle the same just because they're radials.  I did Michelin Primacys as redlines by Diamondback for my 63 GP.  Steering wasn't quite as precise as the Firehawks I had before, but were quieter and smoother.  Of course 'precise' is a relative term in these old B and C body GM cars.  Because they mostly got the suspension geometry right (which they didn't come close with the A-bodies of the mid and late 60s) the full size GM cars of that era could be made to handle quite well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AqbaLEJhf6abtiZS7

Well, that's not exactly what I'm looking for with the Fleetwood.  Still though, I still like to chase the occasional ricer punk on one of the freeway flyover ramps from time to time, so I then can hear about it at the next cars and coffee.  Snot faced, loud mouth kids are very surprised when they see a great big yank tank that can do that.  I just tell them that it requires an extra rudder or two and a deep enough ocean and I'm fine.