News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Leather seats

Started by Bill Renda, April 13, 2020, 05:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Renda

I have a 76 coupe with 39,000 original miles and I noticed the drivers seat is cracking, I treat the leather about once a month with Adams leather conditioner but here we are. Question one can this be fixed, question 2 how do I prevent this. Thanks big time guys be safe and have a good day

TC

Interesting place for that type of wear especially with low mileage. This could have been caused by a wallet in the drivers LR pocket causing extra stress ot if it is a coupe, a lot of extra folding forward of the seat back to access the back seat.

Regardless, the color coat on the leather has failed and split. Repair or replacement of the panel is the only option as this area is beyond preservation. I have done quite a few long lasting leather and vinyl repairs and areas like this need a repair compound with some strength to last. I would try that first. There are guys that do repairs for car dealerships and people that repair leather furniture that will come to your home. Your color is an easy color match too. Adams products are good, however, just about any leather product will be good. Its most important to do it often which you do. 

spolij

There are upulstery shops, there are replacement covers. Both very expensive. How handy are you?
Furniture clinic says they have a kit to repair cracks in leather. I never tried it.

hornetball

A leather redye service like Fibrenew could fix that in a heartbeat.  Don't give up on the original leather.

Tpicks55

search youtube there are a few videos on the subject. Looks like it could be repaired.\
75 Eldorado Convertible
94 Deville Concurs
2019 Lincoln Continental
2016 Cadillac XTS

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bill,

If you are the least bit handy with repairs, I suggest you contact Color Plus https://colorplus.com/      They offer a line of leather and vinyl repair products that perform unbelievably and last for years. I’ve been using them for 20+ years and have never been disappointed. The dye (paint) can be color matched exactly to your leather, is  water soluble and be spotted in with a foam brush. The crack can be filled with a surface putty, much like body filler, that remains flexible and does not split or flake off.
I have no interest in the company but they are my "go to" sourec for interior products.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

David Greenburg

Leatherique also does excellent color matching and has a flexible crack filler.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

64\/54Cadillacking

That leather can definitely be saved. An upholstery shop will most likely tell you otherwise, but you’re going to have to redye and add filler to the cracks to make it look brand new and prevent the seats from wearing out even more.

No amount of leather conditioner will fix the problem. As a matter of fact, most of all automotive leather (even in our old Cadillacs) has a protective clear coat coating in which a leather conditioner cannot penetrate. Using a product like 303 should work fine at protecting it from fading and breaking down even more. Also keeping it out of the sun is crucial at preserving the leather as the UV rays and heat will quickly accelerate wear.

There’s a company called leathertouchupdye.com and the owner has great tutorials on doing the work yourself.

As a matter of fact I am planning on getting a kit once I can see what kind of black dye I need for my 64. The results are really amazing considering how well the filler and dye work together at repairing cracks that are way worse than your seat.

Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

MaR

Quote from: David Greenburg on April 14, 2020, 06:36:12 PM
Leatherique also does excellent color matching and has a flexible crack filler.
I have used the Leatherique products with great results also.

35-709

Leatherique has been my go to product.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

fishnjim

I'd check underneath.   Looks to me like the padding is going or springs are sagging.   And it's not supported right and that's stretching the leather in that area.
They're 44 years old now, should they look like new?   
Could also be a case of over treating/conditioning and softening the color layer causing it to flake.   Once or twice a year is plenty.   The labels alway say use frequently, since they sell more that way.

If you want a quick and dirty, you can buy spray fabric dye that will "hide"/ touch-up the discoloration, also.   Not sure if comes in that color.   That's what the car sales guys would do, make it look good...   Takes the eye off the flaws instead of draw them too it.   Also good for headliner stains, etc.

TC

All the products everyone mentions are good.  There is also Color Bond, Color Lock, Surflex, SEM, and many more. I have used most of them and many of these products are just anothers repackaged. In fact, the original partners of Leatherique split and one owns Color? something.  For a repair like this and especially if the seat will get some use,  a filler with some strength is necessary. I would use a heat dried vs air dried filler. Also, some of the companies offer clear coats with cross-linking additives for durability. These repairs are quite simple but the amateur always rushes. Thin coats of filler dried completely before the next will offer the longest lasting repair. It takes at least few times of practice to get your repair skills honed. Then the color matching of the color is another skill to perfect. Study a color wheel and basic color theory. Pre-mixed colors are often close but need tinting to match. So much information out there now compared to when I learned.   

79 Eldorado

What do those of you who are experienced with leather repair recommend for a tear which is exactly in the sewn pleat of a seating surface?

I was thinking the only way to reasonably repair it would be to remove the cover from the cushion and reinforce it from the back with something which would ideally adhere and overlap the seam. I don't know if a product like that exists and I don't know how easily the "pillow-top" like covers come off and go back on. I've only ever done recover of predominately flat seats with new covers.

Any thoughts?
Scott

TC

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on April 15, 2020, 06:14:19 PM
What do those of you who are experienced with leather repair recommend for a tear which is exactly in the sewn pleat of a seating surface?

I was thinking the only way to reasonably repair it would be to remove the cover from the cushion and reinforce it from the back with something which would ideally adhere and overlap the seam. I don't know if a product like that exists and I don't know how easily the "pillow-top" like covers come off and go back on. I've only ever done recover of predominately flat seats with new covers.

Any thoughts?
Scott

Hi Scott. It depends on whether the stitching failed or the leather. Its have found its 50/50. You have to take the cover off or take the seat to an upholsterer, He or she will decide if if the leather is strong enough and not rotted to hold a new sew.   

79 Eldorado

Thanks Tom,
It was leather which failed in the crease.

Scott

TC

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on May 02, 2020, 03:06:25 PM
Thanks Tom,
It was leather which failed in the crease.

Scott

Then the leather needs to be replaced.

79 Eldorado

Thanks Tom. Understand that's what should be done. I was thinking if the covers come off easily (probably not) then maybe something could be placed overlapping the seam to pull the crack back together and then maybe there is some adhesive for the thickness of the leather. I suspect something like that would be difficult to get looking close to original. If it were possible it probably lowers the skill level required for the repair... that's where I was coming from (removes the sewing part of it). I wouldn't want to spend the time if it wouldn't last or if it looks worse than the crack which actually isn't super obvious.

Scott