News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Buried -59 Cadillac Coupe

Started by CAD1959, April 16, 2020, 05:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAD1959

Hi
I´m try to finding out my -59 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe`s weird history in US.
That Cadillac was purchased to Finland in 2011.
Previous owner was Mr William H Parker in Wichita KS. I tried to reach him, but didn’t got reply.
And trader, Amer Trading Inc. in Okeechobee FL don´t remember (or don´t want to remember) anything about that Cadillac.
I have heard that my Cadillac was somekind of monument outside of museum in US. But don´t know what museum, which state and which years? Maybe 80 or 90 tales?
Based on traces on the Caddy, I suppose it may have buried like Cadillac Ranch style!
Cadillacs original paint code is Georgian Blue. Now it´s matt black and seems it was also red sometimes, even bumbers have been overpainted.
So, now that Cadillac located in Finland. I´m working hard with Cadillac cause it´s a huge restoration project.
Last weekend was first testdrive on street. And it was cool!
Thank you for attention, and hope to hear something about that Cadillacs history.

Tomi

jaxops

Congratulations for saving that 59!  We'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes.  All the best!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

The Tassie Devil(le)

I doubt that the car was actually buried in dirt, but probably "buried" deep inside a badly-leaking shed.

If it was below ground, it would have suffered a whole lot more in the corrosion department, as well as distortion caused by actual burial.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

Caveat Emptor.   
I hope you received a title document.   Didn't say if you recently bought there from someone or you bought in 2011 and transported and has been sitting?   Many mods may have been done over there since 2011.   
Not uncommon for a car this old to have gone through many alterations in six decades.   
You'll have to do a whole lot more investigation than showing a couple pictures here.   
This should've been done prior to purchase, not after, if interested in that.   I'd suggest you pay for a build sheet from GM Heritage Center, if you do not have one, that'll establish the origin and number match.   A VIN check/search, etc.   Some/most states won't release previous owner information(legality).   So difficult here to know/find out what you seek without the right info.   Probably impossible from there.   A law enforcement agency here would have to help with that and they won't get involved unless it's possibly stolen.   Any vehicle prior to 1964 is not in the uniform VIN system here so difficult to trace unless an unbroken string of ownership in state or recent re-titling.   Some states had no titles then.   
I would not be surprised a selling entity has no interest in knowing or assisting vehicle history, it's not their business.  They're a whole lot more interested prior to sale, than after.   Been several indicted for selling illegally offshore so they do not want questions...   Always buy with documentation and checking before purchase.   Prevents stolen vehicle transportation out of jurisdiction and future problems for oneself.
Glad you are enjoying the "ride".   

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Looks like you have a fun project there.  It is hard to imagine the car being physically buried Cadillac Ranch style. These things were tough but can't imagine things like wiper arms and plastic lenses surviving being buried. But-------
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

TJ Hopland

With 59 always being somewhat of an iconic car maybe it had been used for TV or movies at some point of its life and that is why there were multiple paint jobs?  I have heard stories about machines used mostly as background props that had inches of paint on them because they were not in that good of shape to start with and every production wanted a different color. 

Where did the bit about the museum come from?  Maybe if we knew more about that it could lead to some more clues? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

CAD1959

Here´s some more pictures.

Based on these traces, I suspect the car was partially buried in the ground.
The floor of the trunk had been cut off and frame beams underneath had bent strongly upwards. This could happen if the car has been suspended from the rear frame in an almost upright position. (picture 1)

From the front end of the bullet on the side of the tail wing, the mark left by the rainwater run-off apparently slopes forward and downwards. This is same on both sides of the car. How could such a run-off mark be created if the car were in a normal position, i.e. horizontal? (picture 2)

The assumed boundary up to which the bow could have been underground is shown in Figures 3 and 4. The front of the boundary is clearly more rusty, bumpy, and generally in poorer condition. I apologize for the poor picture quality. The boundary from the center of the bonnet to the lower edge of the front fender is very clear in daylight. and it goes at the same point on both sides of the car.

The pictures were taken here in Finland and at this point the car lights, etc. have already been renewed. The inside of the front bumper, the front of the frame and even the radiator were full of reddish sand and gravel. I removed about half a cubic meter of soil from there.

IF??? that Cadillac really was but on the ground like this, I think there must be somekind of support under rear axle. Othervice frame would have sagged badly.

And this is just one theory. Of course I can be completely wrong and all these traces are somehow born differently...

That museum story I have heard by previous owner in Finland. But he don´t know much more about that.

And of course I have clear title for this Cadillac. 
Just asked if anyone had seen this somewhere or knew anything about it.

Tomi

Joe G 12138

Many"Me too!" imitators did the Cadillac Ranch partial burial thing. Quite common. I do remember there was a black one done on the East side of Milwaukee Wisconsin USA in the 1990's (maybe even '80's?) by a Mr. Balestrieri.  I'm sure there's others either in place or removed after the novelty wore off, car became an eyesore, or property changed hands.
                             Joe Gibeault

Cadman-iac

That's going to be quite the project if you are planning on trying to restore it. Even just to bring it back to a driver quality is going to be a lot of work.
What are your plans for it?
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

CAD1959

Joe G: Do you mean this in Milwaukee?
Or was there before black one?
This (breton blue?) flat top was installed in 1998 as a tribute to Balistreri’s father, Anthony Peter Balistreri (1932-1995)

Tomi

The Tassie Devil(le)

What would one expect from an owner with a VW in the drive.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon