News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1918-1919 Cadillac bodies

Started by V.Sorok, April 18, 2020, 08:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V.Sorok

Hello All!

I am new to this forum and am interested in the history and the technical aspects of the early Cadillacs.
I also make 1/43 scale models of Cadillacs.

I see real professionals here and hope to find answers to some of my long-standing questions.
I read the phrase "Nine hood louvers on each side were tilted six degrees inward in 1918" in The Standard Catalog of Cadillac, but saw many photos of 1918 cars with 25 straight louvers.
For example, I didn't see any pictures of Brougham with sloping louvers.
Is it a mistake of an authentication or a mistake of the Catalog?
I would like to know, were the Cadillacs produced with 25 louvers in 1918 really?
Were there Brouhgams with 9 inclined louvers?
Thank you in advance and really looking forward for your answers andn ideas where to look for more information.
Regards,
Vlad

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Hello Vlad...welcome aboard!!

I'm no expert on the old Cadillacs but as I go to my reference book....the "80 years of Cadillac LaSalle" by Walter M.P. McCall.

It looks like all 1918 cars were model 57s and all the regular production cars have the 9 louvers leaned back 6 degrees like you said.....but it appears that the military staff and working vehicles had more louvers....the book said some 300 Limo cars were sent to Europe for WW1 to be used by senior officers.....and 1000s of Cadillacs were used as staff cars and ambulances in Europe....

Other military uses was a searchlight car....these Cadillacs pulled a 60 inch search light around the battle fields......another use was a Cadillac engine mounted on an engine stand looking platform and it was connected to a winch.....the winch was used to control military observer balloons....to deploy and then quickly retrieve when enemy aircraft was in the area.....How would you like that job...up in the balloon hoping when you have to quickly come back down to earth there won't be any vapor lock going on at the motor!!

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

V.Sorok

Mike, thanks for the answer.
I believed that all Types 57 had 9 tilted louvers in 1918. But too many cars with 25 straight louvers present now as 1918 cars. Is it possible to be so many mistakes? I began to question the accuracy of the Catalog entry. After all, the year of Type 57 release can be identified by engine number. Or does everyone want to have a car one year older?)
Military vehicles had 9 louvers in 1918 also. Here confirmation to it.

Vlad

V.Sorok

I raise my question with the hope that someone after a summer vacation will see this and write an answer)

fishnjim

This is one for a research library around Detroit.   There are several.  GM heritage center might also contain answers.   
Without bona fide cross checked photographic/documentation evidence, any forum answers are just "hearsay".

From what I know from reading, I surmise during that period, pre-'25 before consolidation, that bodies were often made by separate companies; Fisher body, etc., and maybe the source of the discrepancy.   So may need to specify the body maker as well to correctly identify cars of these years.

V.Sorok

Thank you for the reasoned opinion in your comment. I agree with your scientific approach to the question and will try different ways to find an answer. However, I hope that there are owners of such cars or their acquaintances on the forum, and they can answer based on facts (engine number, car history), not "hearsay".

Chris Cummings

Vlad,

There are a number of owners of 1918 and 1919 Cadillacs listed in the club directory.  One or more of them may have done some research in this area already, and you may be able to profit by their knowledge.

Best regards,

Chris Cummings

V.Sorok

Thank you, Chris!
I have no doubt about it, but I have no access to this directory and I see no point in bothering people if they themselves have no desire to share information.
Life is an amazing thing! You are proud of your knowledge today, and tomorrow you leave and knowledge can be lost forever...

35-709

Only a small percentage of the total Cadillac & LaSalle Club membership use or visit these forums.  Those that own Cadillacs of the vintage you are asking about are even less likely to visit here. 
As a member of the Cadillac & LaSalle Club, you would have the membership directory at your fingertips and the owners of '18/'19 Cadillacs would no doubt be most glad to hear from you and help you with your questions. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

V.Sorok

Thank you, but the Club membership is not free. It's expensive for me to pay so much for a probability of finding the answer to my question (a probability only, not the answer still).

chrisntam

Right now, you get a six month free introductory membership. If you want to join, it’s as little as 35 dollars a year.

That’s not expensive. Just don’t dine in a restaurant for one evening, that will easily cover a year’s membership.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

V.Sorok

Thanks Chris, I took your kind advice)))