News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Much needed repairs

Started by jeremy9146, April 18, 2020, 01:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremy9146

Hey everyone

It's been quite a while since I have posted anything here.  I hope everyone is doing their best to stay healthy and safe.  Since this quarantine my repair shop has been closed.  It has given me some time to repair some of my own vehicles.

This past week I brought my 59 Caddy to the shop to perform some needed repairs since I purchased it in January 2019 from its original owner.  This was the first time I had a chance to get the car on the lift.  The air ride system works but leaks down relatively quick.  I found the passenger rear airbag was heavily cracked and was leaking from one of the cracks.  I purchased a pair of new reproduction rear bags.  The rear bags levered out of the cans relatively easily.  The install was very straight forward and the entire job to replace both rear bags took less then an hour.  I was very happy with the finished results!!

The next project was to tackle replacing the severely leaking transmission with rebuilt unit I had in stock.  Aside from the heavy weight of the transmission the replacement was easy.  I did it by myself in about four hours.  I started the car to check for leaks.  The trans is bone dry, however the engine is producing a drip drip from the rear main area of the oil pan.  So I dropped the pan and at first thought the oil was leaking from the pan gasket area and not the rear main crankshaft seal.  Having a new rear main seal  on hand I decided to replace it.  Boy am I glad I did!! I pulled the windage tray and the oil pump in order to gain access to the rear main bearing cap bolts. The main bearing bolts we only hand tight!!  The engine had been rebuilt in the early nineties,  having receipts for the work.  I proceeded to check the remaining main bearing cap bolts and the rod bolts as well.  None of the mains had been torqued!!  The rods were tightened correctly.  I can’t believe none of the main bearing had spun!! The engine has approx 600 miles on its rebuild.  I’m so glad I decided to go after the rear main seal!! So after replacing the rear seal and reinstalling all of the parts I started the engine.  No more leaks from the rear but guess what the front seal started the drip drip drip.  So after tightening the main bearing it move the crank up enough to make the front seal leak.  Ugh!!! Thankfully Cadillac doesn't press the harmonic balancer on the front of the crank so I was able to remove the drive belts and remove the balancer without taking anything off of the engine.  I was able to purchase a front seal from Napa.  I tapped the seal in and reinstalled the balancer and new drive belts.  I started the car and finally I have no more leaks!!

I just wanted to share a story about taking care of some loose ends that this abundance of time has allowed for.  I was very happy with the end result!!  Hope I haven’t rambled on too much!!

Thanks

Jeremy Weiss
Jeremy Weiss Bridgewater, NJ
Current collection of Cadillac’s
1953 Eldorado
1959 Eldorado Biarritz

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Great write up as well as great work. I am sure you are very happy with the results.
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

Lexi

Nice to hear that some preventative maintenance averted a major future disaster. Nice work Jim. Clay/Lexi

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

That tale about the engine just reinforces my understanding that a Cadillac motor will run as long as all the parts are in the same room
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

James Landi

So many errors can occur because of someone's lack of focus or attention to detail.  Yours is one of many dozens of horror stories about mechanics who make major errors and send an unsuspecting customer on the road and with a receipt of many thousands for a job that has a major flaw.  Clearly, you're an expert and someone who is highly experienced and can "smell a rat."   And yes, as mentioned above, the Cadillac engines of that era where extremely durable.   Thanks for sharing your experiences, and by the way, was the original transmission not functioning or was it simply leaking?   Happy day,   James

jeremy9146

Hey everyone

Thanks for the nice replies!   In response to the question about the trans operation, it was leaking and was slow to engage reverse.  So it will go out for a full rebuild at some point.  I drove her back from the shop just now.  She’s dirty from winter storage so I apologize in advance. 

Thanks

Jeremy Weiss
1953 Eldorado
1959 Eldorado Biarritz

jeremy9146

Hey everyone

I added some pics of the work I performed.  I’m sorry for the sideway pics.  I don’t know how to fix that.

Thanks

Jeremy Weiss
1953 Eldorado
1959 Eldorado Biarritz

Jeff Wilk

Nice car Jeremy!!!  Can you share any details of its history and how you acquired it?  Finding original owner cars of this era is no small task. Hope all safe and well.

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

76eldo

I’ve been to Jeremy’s shop. He’s a skilled mechanic.
Nice work !
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

jeremy9146

Hey everybody

Thanks Brian!  Jeff the car came from Williamsport PA.  The gentleman bought the car brand new from a Cadillac dealer in NY state.  The car was originally driven by his wife as her daily transportation.  It’s hard to imagine someone keeping a car for 60yrs!! I’m very happy to have her in my collection.

Thanks

Jeremy Weiss
1953 Eldorado
1959 Eldorado Biarritz

Jeff Wilk

Thanks Jeremy. Awesome story and find!

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville