News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 dual exhaust drone

Started by tc76ldovert, April 19, 2020, 02:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc76ldovert

I had duals with unnamed turbo mufflers and no cat put on my 76 vert when the engine was rebuilt. An RV cam was installed otherwise it is stock. At about 48mph the drone makes you want to jump out, it returns but lower at highway speed. Has anyone had luck with a crossover H pipe or an X pipe in an aftermarket dual exhaust or resonators?

I saw a similar thread but it was older than 30 days and the forum suggested a new topic.

Thanks,
Mr. Badwrench

hornetball

Only real way to get rid of drone is to add muffler capacity.  Stock exhaust uses a large muffler AND a resonator.  An H or X helps a little (have a '66 Fury with an H), but in the end the answer will be more muffling.

Remember, moving a Caddy is all about low-RPM torque.  Duals and small mufflers do little in this regard.  What's right for my '64 Corvette race car is not right for my '74 Eldorado cruiser.

76eldo

Buy a 71-74 exhaust system with resonator.
I have this on my 76 and it’s perfect.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I too say bigger mufflers.   Turbos work alright on a 350 but can be pretty annoying on a big Caddy.    I had turbos on mine for a couple weeks then had to pay almost as much as I paid for the whole system to have them changed out for truck mufflers. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason