News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Best Source for 2008 DTS Factory Shop Manuals?

Started by colinlikens, April 20, 2020, 03:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinlikens

I started looking online for factory shop manuals for my 2008 DTS.  I was surprised that print versions appeared to be available.  I would have thought they were all digital by now.  But if I recall correctly the printed ones that I found were $300.

I'd be just as happy with a digital copy, DVD, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good source for buying the factory shop manuals?

Thanks!
1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

colinlikens

Thanks very, very much for this suggestion.  I didn't mean to ask anyone to do search work on eBay for me.  And in fact I saw these there and was all set to buy one.  But has anyone used these?  Are they user friendly?  i.e. Easy to read?  Good resolution images?  Easy to navigate?  It's not like a lot of money is on the line, but nonetheless it's nice to buy the right thing the first time. 

I sometimes leaf through the old printed shop manuals and Fisher Body manuals in awe of the thoroughness that went into them.  The fold-out electrical wiring diagram in my 1973 shop manual is really impressive.  I wasn't sure these were as good or whether anyone was doing them better than others.

1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

Glen

For my newer cars I buy the shop manual from Helm.  It comes out to about $300.  These manuals are printouts from the digital file I assume.  They seem to have a print on demand setup, so they don’t have a stack sitting around.  My 2012 Colorado manual is 4 volumes. Each one is about 1 ¾ inches thick.   YMMV
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

78Elegante

For what my opinion is worth, I prefer to have the original, paper books. But I don't know until which year these were printed.

When I search on Ebay, I see they still exist for the 2008 DTS:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-GM-CADILLAC-DTS-D-T-S-Service-Shop-Repair-Workshop-Manual-Set-FACTORY/401794233597?hash=item5d8ccd74fd:g:OscAAMXQjWtRQTny

The one linked to above is a PDF-version. This means that you will receive only a digital file: “" Please be noted the Manual Is To Be Downloaded, We do also offer CD Delivery Service (optional) ”

This may be handy when researching on the computer, or when you want to share digital images, but for me this is only 'a nice to have, next to the real paper book' option.