News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939 Wireing harness

Started by jescenic, April 21, 2020, 08:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jescenic

Morning everyone.  My son and I are rebuild our hobby 1939 lasalle sedan.  We have the body off and are gathering parts.  Question it is a 6 volt system should I stay 6 volt or change to 12 volt.  I am having trouble finding a 6 volt harness.  Can someone suggest the route I should go and if its 6 volt where I can find a simple plug and play harness.
Thank you
John

Tom Boehm

Hello John, Welcome to Lasalle ownership!  There are several vendors that make reproduction wiring harness for your car (6 volt). I got mine from YnZ Yesterdays Parts. There is also Narragansett Reproductions, and Rhode Island Wiring Service. I think you should keep your car 6 volt. 6 volt systems worked when new and they can be made to work well again. This subject has been covered a lot on this forum. Do a search. The basics are that all connections must be free of rust and paint. The cable from the negative battery post to the starter must be thick. I got a reproduction from YnZ that was thicker than my thumb. There should not be paint or rust between the starter and the bell housing.

AND join the Cadillac and Lasalle Club. There is a lot of knowledge about your car on this forum and more with members who do not use this forum.

39LaSalleDriver

To echo Tom, stay with 6v. If you aren't trying to hook up a stereo blaster, or an A/C you'll be fine. I could be wrong, but I think Narragansett might be out of operation though. Back in January or so I was looking up prices for a rear harness for my 5019 and wasn't able to track them down anymore. Over on the AACA they say the old man died back in 2018 and their future was uncertain. Can't say enough good about Rhode Island Wiring though.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

harvey b

I used a YNZ on my 37,it literally fell into place,seemed like the wires had the proper twist to them to fit around the different braces and the like.They are not cheap,but you do get what you pay for.wouldnt think twice about getting another after using them,very good quality. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

Jeff Hansen

To go with the recommendations for Rhode Island Wiring, YnZ, and Narragansett, there is also Harnesses Unlimited in the Philadelphia area.   I've had with success with them.  Harnesses from any of these vendors will come with complete instructions and diagrams and will fall right into place.  Wires come numbered for ease of installation and to match up with the diagram and instructions.

The only place you may have to do some work is where the chassis harness connects to the body harness.  The two harnesses are sold separately in most cases.  Cadillac used a special connector to connect the two.  Check with the vendor you select to see if you can send them your connector and have them solder it into place to save you a bit of work.

I also concur with keeping your car 6 volts.  Just remember your car has a POSITIVE ground electrical system.   ;)

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

LaSalle5019

You are getting great advice. I have had good experience with the two companies I've used in the past - YnZ and Rhode Island Wiring.  I agree with keeping it 6 volt and ensuring your starter and battery ground cables are Gauge 0 or larger. 

A few suggestions though that I have found with my car.  I upgraded to halogen headlamp bulbs and also replaced my tail lights with dual element LED bulbs (+ ground), both from Restoration Supply Company.  Makes a nice difference in visibility upfront and for those people behind me.  I also added a Brakelighter in the rear to help keep the people texting and driving behind me to see when I'm stopping.
https://www.brakelighter.com/
Scott