News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tempus Fugit

Started by fishnjim, April 22, 2020, 01:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishnjim

It was around Nov. 2015 when I decided to put the '58 Coupe up on stands to prepare for the mechanical rebuild.   It had nearly full tank of 93 octane(Shell).  Can't fill this one up, it'll sprinkle out the cap, if it's not level.
I've been resurrecting the project the last few weeks.   I had just a few items to get 'er done.   
So for you curious sorts about the gas.   1. The cap paper gasket stuck to the end pipe.   I had to free it to get the cap off.   2. Fuel gauge is reading about half.   I don't know if evaporation or the continual degrading electrical or float issue.   Non-essential to know at this point.   3. I siphoned about a quart through the line to make sure it didn't have any floaters/pluggage.  Changed the fuel filter.  4. I could not get the mechanical pump to prime the carbs.  So I took it off.   One of the checks had popped out of it's socket.   I probably messed up by not priming it first or some damage during all the movement to/from the engine bay.   A new fuel pump today and I primed the carbs first.   Fired right off and runs nice.   Thanks to my engine rebuilder, Keith Dorton.   Got a fine 3x2 365 to play with(hopefully).   So I wouldn't try this with ethanol regular.   It picked up a little color but not much(fuel bowl).  So that gas has been sitting 4 1/2 years.   Spark plugs don't know the difference.
Still worried about the trans leak.   I'll being putting more fluid in now that I can start and run properly for that.   Plus a few other items, check everything I worked on works; PS, brakes, etc before I brave putting to on the ground and move it.   I remember what it was like to pull into the garage and have the booster go out, so I'll have none of that.   Baby needs a bath real bad.     

James Landi

Well-- you've opened up a recent " can of worms"... I asked that question a couple of weeks ago regarding just how long one can store gasoline in a fuel tank... the responses varied but there seemed to be agreement that the fewer temperature swings, there's much less water from moisture forming in the tank.  Also, having a full tank (a very full tank in your narrative), the better, so, ideally there's no polluting moisture.  But there appears to be agreement that gasoline will lose some of its potency over time and begin to smell more like shellac.  There also was varying responses about gasoline losing it's chemical power to run an engine under load, and there was no agreement about the efficacy of fuel stabilizer.  If I can infer from your post, you intend on using the fuel and keeping a close eye on filter clogging.  Seems sensible, and I would add--- don't push your engine with high revs and transmission kick down with this old fuel... your engine may run just fine on this old gas as long as you;re not demanding too much of it.  Hope this helps,   James