News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Quick spark-plug-wire-assembling tip

Started by 67_Eldo, April 24, 2020, 01:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

I couldn't find a YouTube video that explained spark-plug-wire fabrication using this technique, so here's a non-video example.

My Eldorado was infected by Distributor-Cap-itis on Monday. It is a sneaky malady that took me too long to properly diagnose. But with good lab results finally in hand, I figured the cure should be quick and easy. As well as I was doing a cap transplant, I figured a spark-plug-wire-ectomy wasl also in order.

The local parts store -- surprise -- doesn't carry a set of spark-plug wires custom cut for a 1967 Cadillac. I bought a "universal" set of Accel silicone, graphite-core wires that require a bit of assembly. The straight spark-plug boots are already attached to the ends of the wires. All you have to do is to cut the wires to length (if necessary) slide on the distributor-cap boots and crimp on the distributor-cap contact ends. I figured this would be about a 15-minute job.

Two hours later I'd been able to fish one end of one wire through a distributor-cap boot. It turns out that making that 90-degree turn inside the distributor-cap boot is an exercise in frustration, even if you're armed with a full can of silicone lubricant.

I devised this silicone-wire-routing method to save future generations from an excess of frustation and fingertip pain.

1. (Optional) Snip a tiny bit of silicone from the square edge of the unfinished wire. Removing this "edge" of silicone should make Step 4 of this process a bit easier.

2. Get silicone lube in some form. I used spray lube. Generously lubricate the wire's insultaion as well as everything else described in this process (e.g. the inside of the distributor-cap boot).

3. Find/buy a piece of tubing that has a 3/8" (8mm) inside diameter. This works perfectly when working with 8mm spark-plug wires! In my case, this was a thin brass tube that I'd purchased from a hardware store. Blast everything with silicone and slide the boot big-end first onto the tubing. This temporarily eliminates the nasty 90-degree angle that the wire must eventually span.

4. Press the spark-plug-wire end into the tubing and push the wire into the tube for at least an inch. (This is where the edge you may have "bevelled" in Step 1 makes life a bit easier.)

5. Making sure the wire does not slide out of the end of the tubing, pull the tubing through and out of the end of the boot. The spark-plug wire must follow.

The tough part is now complete!  Go ahead and crimp -- you *do* have a tool that will crimp 8mm wire ends, don't you? -- your metal contact to the end of the wire. You're now ready to replace some wires.

I hope that helps somebody someday.

TJ Hopland

I like the universal sets.   The factory ones never seemed to fit right unless they were truly factory bought at the dealer ones and you still had all the original clips and stuff.    Its always a game of well this ones a little too short and this one is a little long.   Oh wait now this one is too short so I will swap them.   What was the firing order again?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason