News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1946 convertible carburetor hose and interior lighting

Started by Caddy44, April 24, 2020, 04:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy44

hello, i have 2 questions.  I would like to know where the carburetor hose that goes to the automatic gearbox is connected.  and the positive cable which by dome lighting takes its power from where.  thank you
Fabrice

Jeff Hansen

Fabrice,

The pipe that attaches to the carburetor at the location shown in your photo is a gasoline overflow pipe.  The other end of the pipe does not connect to anything.  The pipe routes behind the engine and down towards the ground and is open ended so any excess gasoline in the carburetor can safely drip to the ground and evaporate.  The pipe should be routed to the driver's side of the car to avoid the hot exhaust pipe.

Bill Ingler, if you read this, at one time you posted a photo of your 1947 convertible coupe chassis with the engine installed which showed how the pipe is routed down the back of the engine.  Could you please post that photo again?  It might help Fabrice.

Fabrice, the wire that powers the dome light on the rear convertible bow is part of the body wiring harness.  The body wiring harness connects to the dashboard wiring harness under the dashboard on the driver's side at the base of the windshield.  I believe the wire you are asking about ultimately terminates at the headlight switch.  The dome light can be operated by opening either front door or by using the switch on the forward edge of the left rear armrest - BUT - only when the parking lights or headlights are turned on.  This is to prevent the light from being left on should the top be in the down position.  If you dissect the wiring harness, the power wire for the light is likely part of the tail lamp circuit.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Bill Ingler #7799

Fabrice: As Jeff suggested, below are 3 pictures showing the overflow line routed back and across the transmission to drip on ground and away from the exhaust pipe.  Bill

Jeff Hansen

Bill,

THANK YOU!

Picture DCP_0736 is the one I was thinking of.

Thanks again!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Caddy44

Hello Jeff,
thank you very much for your very explanatory technical help. 👍🙏🙏😉
Fabrice

Caddy44

Fabrice