News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tie-Rod End Prices All Over The Map For '37 LaSalle

Started by carlhungness, April 25, 2020, 05:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

In my continuing search to stock pile parts I am going to require for my restoration of my '37 LaSalle Opera coupe I have been checking prices on tie-rod ends. I believe they are 11/16-18's and I've found pricing from $25.00 to well over $100.
       It makes sense other GM brands use the same rod so I've checked everyone from Bob's Automobilia to Collector's Auto to eBay for ends that fit LaSalle, Buick, Olds.
       Anyone out there have recent buying experience with suspension parts for my vehicle as I'm looking for suggestions. I have previously read the Buick stuff that fits is priced lower than the LaSalle and thus far I've found this to be true.
      My favorite college professor told me, "Carl, the more you know about your product the greater your chances of success." Now I'm into tie-rods and seeking knowledge.

Jeff Hansen

I agree with your professor!   :)

Not only find out what other GM makes your tie rod ends fit, try to find the aftermarket part numbers from back in the day.  From there, you may find that not only do those tie rods end fit the GM models, but MAYBE a bunch of other cars, too.

Case in point, when someone finds out you are looking for Cadillac parts, the price immediately goes up.  I was looking for u-joints for my '41 60S.  As you found with your tie rod ends, I found u-joint prices all over the map: $90 EACH and up.  But once I discovered the aftermarket part numbers and how you can cross-reference them, I found an NOS set of WESCO N3000G u-joints advertised for 1949-56 Dodge: $65 pair plus free shipping.  The very same u-joint fits the '41 Cadillac.  I might have been able to do even better if I'd taken my time, but I jumped on them because I needed them at that moment.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

carlhungness

Where does one research the after-market part numbers, Jeff? I appreciate your reply.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Carl, Get a Hollander cross reference manual for one thing. It will show all the different parts that are the same across Make/Model/Year.

Jeff, I had some U-joints and never got around to installing them before you bought the car. Sorry.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jeff Hansen

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on April 25, 2020, 10:51:19 PM
Jeff, I had some U-joints and never got around to installing them before you bought the car. Sorry.

No worries, Barry!   :)

Quote from: carlhungness on April 25, 2020, 06:54:52 PM
   Where does one research the after-market part numbers, Jeff? I appreciate your reply.

Carl, there are a number of ways:

• As Barry mentioned, a Hollander Interchange manual will help.
  • Google can be your best friend!
  • Scour the swap meets and eBay for old catalogs from the late-30s through early-50s from the name brand suspension suppliers of the time such as Moog, Toledo Steel, Thompson, McQuay-Norris, etc.
  • Network with fellow hobbyists who own similar cars; you can often swap interchange information to help each other out.
  • Don't be afraid to ask on forums such as this if anyone knows of, or has any, of this data they'd be willing to share.  Recently I needed help with a Moog part number I thought would fit early-40s Cadillacs.  A fellow forum member (thank you, again, Jim Lumma!) was kind enough to help.

I hope this helps you get started!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

carlhungness

Thanks for the info, will start searching for the Hollander. I've been on Google researching best I can and do get some results. I've had great luck with the local NAPA guys as they're very knowledgeable.
I'll let you all know how I do.