News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 Fleetwood front seat springs and foam

Started by scotth3886, April 26, 2020, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotth3886

is there anyone who sell new aftermarket springs and foam? 

Upholstery is in great shape, but underneath I have a little to do. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

How bad is what you have?

I "restored" the seat bases in a '69 SDV which had collapsed foam, and removed the collapsed sections and glued in replacement foam.   In this case, it was the underneath part of the foam.   Worked well.

Where the springs were broken, I got springs from another old seat and replaced them.

Then came the Hessian, etc, etc.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

David Greenburg

If the ‘66 is like earlier Fleetwoods, it has a unique spring system in the seats; it uses a whole bunch of individual coil springs, referred to in the literature as “Marshall-type” springs, as contrasted with the more “primitive” seat structure used in the lesser models.  So keep that in mind if you are looking to replace springs.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

scotth3886

Being new to old Cadillacs I thought we might have a supplier similar to what we have for full size Pontiacs?

Photobucket is being what it usually is so had to attach at the bottom

https://secure.amesperf.com/catalogs/P22.pdf

I don't think there would be any carryover except maybe the 'Strato Back' buckets on 66 and up.  I had to 'restuff' the front bucket bottoms on my 66 GP and it came out fine give that all of the upholstery was original.

I'm going to call this supplier and see if they do anything for Cadillac.  I think there would be a higher demand than for full size Pontiac. 

scotth3886

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 26, 2020, 08:40:39 PM
How bad is what you have?

I "restored" the seat bases in a '69 SDV which had collapsed foam, and removed the collapsed sections and glued in replacement foam.   In this case, it was the underneath part of the foam.   Worked well.

Where the springs were broken, I got springs from another old seat and replaced them.

Then came the Hessian, etc, etc.

Bruce. >:D

Its noticeable.  I'm a couple inches shorter than what I should be. 

I imagine the upholstery shop here in Columbus deals with this quite often so I'll ask them if I can't find re-pop seat springs and foam. 

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Scott,

There's no premade foam that I'm aware of.  Dave is correct that the seat is constructed with Marshal coils which are then layered with a sheet of  light weight jute. The cushion is two layers of foam, lower stiffer than the upper, which are glued together and sculptured to the seat design/shape. The fabric is glued to a thin sheet of foam before being fitted and tied to the seat foundation.
The shop manual is not helpful with removing the seat. It indicates the rear seat cushion must be removed and the front seat is taken out the back door which is a very tight fit and requires rotating the seat to clear the rear vent window. This is much like trying to move a sofa braced on your knees. It's easier remove the seat back cover holding the trays and disconnect the seat backrest from the lower cushion. The SM is incorrect on removing the seat back cover and issued  updated instructions that I have but have to look for.

I responded to your PM. Did you get it?
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

scotth3886

Quote from: Ralph Messina CLC 4937 on April 27, 2020, 08:08:53 AM
Scott,

There's no premade foam that I'm aware of.  Dave is correct that the seat is constructed with Marshal coils which are then layered with a sheet of  light weight jute. The cushion is two layers of foam, lower stiffer than the upper, which are glued together and sculptured to the seat design/shape. The fabric is glued to a thin sheet of foam before being fitted and tied to the seat foundation.
The shop manual is not helpful with removing the seat. It indicates the rear seat cushion must be removed and the front seat is taken out the back door which is a very tight fit and requires rotating the seat to clear the rear vent window. This is much like trying to move a sofa braced on your knees. It's easier remove the seat back cover holding the trays and disconnect the seat backrest from the lower cushion. The SM is incorrect on removing the seat back cover and issued  updated instructions that I have but have to look for.

I responded to your PM. Did you get it?

I got the one on the 25th and just responded again with my email address. 

I figured that the seat would have to come out the back door.  This sounds like a hell of a job and maybe one that I should save for this winter. 

scotth3886

I just talked to our local C-Bus shop that's been around for 50+ years and we're going to punt until fall.  He said the same that there's nothing available that's he's aware of so he has to fabricate everything.  He's done a few before so that's probably the solution. 

Thanks for your advice.  I should have just bought yours at Mecum Kissimmee last year as I'm going to end up with way more money in the mistake I bought.  It will look great sitting next to my 63 GP that I bought for $20k and then put another $100k in it in the next 11 months and its still worth $15k.

35-709

Quote from: scotth3886 on April 27, 2020, 08:34:21 AM
Thanks for your advice.  I should have just bought yours at Mecum Kissimmee last year as I'm going to end up with way more money in the mistake I bought.  It will look great sitting next to my 63 GP that I bought for $20k and then put another $100k in it in the next 11 months and its still worth $15k.
;D ;D ;D
Love it, bought a '68 Bonneville convertible (with AC) for $12k, put $20k in it, and now it is worth maybe $18k!
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

Very nice, but I know what is going to happen to that picture shortly.   ;D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Scott,

You have an email from the Moderators that requires your attention.

Thanks,

Bruce Reynolds,
Forum Administrator.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe