News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1972 DeVille Carburetor

Started by ffbuzz99, April 27, 2020, 03:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffbuzz99

New member here. I recently purchased a 72 De Ville with a 472. The previous owner had an Edelbrock 600 carb on it and it wasn't running well. I have sourced the proper Quadrjet and I am in the process of putting it back together. Because he ended up modifying (I use the term loosely) things to fit, I am having trouble attaching the throttle cable to the throttle lever. The threaded bolt on the end of the cable is too big to fit into any of the holes on the lever. Is there some type of adapter that attaches to the lever?
I have a shop manual on order right now. Also looking for a vacuum line diagram. I have seen pictures of capping off some of the fittings, and I don't know if that's going to keep me from setting the timing.
Lastly, I thought there was supposed to be an opening in the intake manifold that I could connect a rod to the thermostatic spring. I see no such hole. Just a recessed round plug that links like its made of aluminum.

If anyone has any pictures of these areas, It would be greatly appreciated.

John
1972 Coupe DeVille
1992 Sedan DeVille
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
1995 STS
2004 SLS
2009 DTS

klinebau

The throttle linkage looks like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-1972-Cadillac-Sedan-Deville-firewall-gas-pedal-linkage-assembly-parts/401921784043?fits=Model%3ADeVille%7CMake%3ACadillac&hash=item5d9467b8eb:g:6nAAAOSwx6pdm1HJ

The ball/socket piece should attach to the carburetor linkage that is attached to the primary throttle shaft.  Often this part is missing when you source a replacement carburetor.  I can't find great picture, but this shows the part:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-72-Cadillac-462-Rochester-Q-jet-Carb-Carburetor-7042234-Dated-3441/302051693085?hash=item4653af121d:g:zkAAAOSwIgNXo2QH

Most likely the previous owner either hacked up or removed the throttle linkage to the carburetor or the newly sourced carburetor is missing the part that attaches to the primary throttle shaft.  It possible that both issues are occurring.  Pictures of the relevant pieces will help us diagnose.  The factory service manual should also show pictures.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

ffbuzz99

Thanks for the help. I solved the choke issue. That recessed cap holds the divorce choke spring and housing.
Just found on on eBay.

Thanks
1972 Coupe DeVille
1992 Sedan DeVille
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
1995 STS
2004 SLS
2009 DTS

TJ Hopland

Cadillac used 2 different divorced chokes in the era.  One was round and the other was slightly rectangular.   I got burnt on that when I was trying to get one working.   I don't know if one was one year only or what the deal was.  Took me a few tries to finally get the correct one. 

Another 'feature' of the divorced choke is you have a limited amount of gasket thickness you can deal with.  Lots of people want to try a thicker one for heat insulation but find out the rod won't bend that far.   They do make an electric conversion kit if you end up having too many issues finding or getting the original to work.  I have used them a couple times and they seem to work.  They are basically a bracket that hangs off one of the top screws and holes one of the later OE style electric heaters.  There is then a rod out the back that hooks to where the divorced one did in the linkage. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Is/was there any sort of electrical switch that looks like it would have interacted with the throttle linkage?    Originally there was, its the 'kickdown' for the transmission.    2 pin connector.     Someone got a pic of that so he can see what if anything he has left and what he will be searching for next?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

ffbuzz99

Had no luck finding the throttle adapter plate online. In a rare moment of brilliance, I bought a completely trashed Quadrajet on eBay for $50. When I purchased the rebuilt Quadrajet, I did not have a core to send back. Now I do. I’ll take the part I need, and send that one back for the $70 core charge. I got my part, and I made $20!
1972 Coupe DeVille
1992 Sedan DeVille
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
1995 STS
2004 SLS
2009 DTS

TJ Hopland

Awesome solution.  That is a great option to remember with a lot of older stuff.   You can often buy a whole what ever it is for much less than the missing part, you just have to make sure that the one you are buying has that part.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

ffbuzz99

TJ, the kickdown switch is there, however the arm is broken off. That’s on my search list.
1972 Coupe DeVille
1992 Sedan DeVille
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
1995 STS
2004 SLS
2009 DTS

TJ Hopland

Having the arm broke off is a common issue.   Maybe someone here can tell you what years were the same to aid in your search.  I know there are some that are very difficult to find while others are just difficult.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

ffbuzz99,
Those switches are getting really rare.  Someone was 3d printing the arms, but I am not sure how that worked out.  I've got a couple so if you are interested pm me.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

klinebau

I have one that was 3d printed.  It didn't fit on the switch all that well.  I had to force it on and still wasn't all that secure.  I ended putting a bit of epoxy to keep it on.  That actually seems to be working well and it is better than buying a new one for $$$.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

ffbuzz99

Update. Went to a local junkyard that I knew had a few 71-76 Cadillacs.
Got an air cleaner housing, a throttle adapter plate, and the entire transmission lockdown switch and arm. If I bought them on eBay I would have paid close to $250. It cost me $40 and a box of donuts. I’m claiming a small victory. ✌🏼✌🏼🍩🍩
1972 Coupe DeVille
1992 Sedan DeVille
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
1995 STS
2004 SLS
2009 DTS

TJ Hopland

Its amazing that stuff was all still there.   For the last 10-20 years in my area a carb especially a quadrajet won't last more than a day or two before someone buys it likely to flip it.   They seem to always do damage to any part near it in the process of removing it and leave anything not attached just laying around so it ends up getting separated from the car.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

ffbuzz99

**Update**

New Carb is on, new fuel pump is in, divorced choke works, fires right up. Power steering line replaced. Set the idle rpms at 6000 with a dwell meter.
just need to double check the vacuum lines. Not sure they're all connected right. Took it around the block a couple of times. Noticed the parking brake is not releasing. Ill keep plugging along. Thanks for the help.

1972 Coupe DeVille
1992 Sedan DeVille
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
1995 STS
2004 SLS
2009 DTS

Cadman-iac

Quote from: ffbuzz99 on May 14, 2020, 08:15:25 PM
**Update**

New Carb is on, new fuel pump is in, divorced choke works, fires right up. Power steering line replaced. Set the idle rpms at 6000 with a dwell meter.
just need to double check the vacuum lines. Not sure they're all connected right. Took it around the block a couple of times. Noticed the parking brake is not releasing. Ill keep plugging along. Thanks for the help.

Isn't that idle just a little bit high? Just asking!
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

ffbuzz99

Should have proofread that one. My fat fingers typed an extra 0 in there. Lol
1972 Coupe DeVille
1992 Sedan DeVille
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
1995 STS
2004 SLS
2009 DTS

TJ Hopland

Is the parking brake pedal not coming up or you you have stuck cables?   If its the pedal there is a manual release lever just up under the dash.   Once you know where it is you can reach it while seated.   To find it the first time you may have to actually look under there.   You can see the vacuum canister and the rod coming off it what the rod attaches to is the release lever. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV