News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1970 eldorado survivor fighting electrical gremlin

Started by billmorrow, April 30, 2020, 02:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmorrow

hello again..
i'm the guy who repaired the driver door to body wiring.. all that work is done, BUT..
when i replaced the blown fuse i came upon a strange anomaly..
both doors closed, both courtesy and warning lights on both doors are/go out along with the other courtesy lights..
open passenger door, all courtesy lights come on EXCEPT the driver door courtesy light and the red warning light..
close passenger door and driver door courtesy and warning light come ON while other lights behave as the should and go out..
i have rechecked my repairs to the door to body wiring and all looks to be correct..
wipers work as they should, door lock switch works, all windows work, have not tested the window lockout switch yet but i suspect it works..
cigar lighters do not appear to have power but that is the next gremlin i'll chase..
my question is how are the red and white lenses removed from the courtesy/warning light fixture..
i am a bit scared to try to pry them out without damaging them IF they should be removed in another way..
i want to check the voltage on the courtesy light in the driver door when it comes on..

thanks..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~

chrisntam

Here’s a pic of the lenses from my ‘70 DVC. Tangs on both long sides but one side is broken on both lenses shown.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Insert a small blade screwdriver to push the tang down to release it. Be gentle they are very fragile.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76eldo

Check your body fuse and look at the lighters closely.
Blown body fuse due to a short in a lighter socket can make your courtesy lights do strange things.
Before you risk breaking a lens check this first.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

billmorrow

thanks for the tip on the lighters..
and thanks for the picture of the lenses..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG

~~~Mark Twain~~

billmorrow

update:
lenses came out easily, thank you..
gremlin issue solved, the 2 orange wires in the harness between the driver door and body were reversed.. made that change and gremlin gone..

original issue arose again..
now that the wire harness is correctly repaired the wiper switch has shown itself to be bad in that the 15 ohm wirewound resister mounting it corroded, most likely due to the heat generated by that resister over the last 50 years..
so i shall start a new thread on this issue and my thoughts on how to repair those tiny copper rivets and prevent that engineering defect from returning for the next 50 years, not that i expect to be here to know.. but then one never knows what the future might hold.. :)
(i am reminded of the jack webb, johnny carson copper clapper caper show.. :)
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG

~~~Mark Twain~~

Daryl Chesterman

For those enquiring minds who don't know about the Jack Webb, Johnny Carson copper clapper caper show: :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgYbogp1Ha0

Daryl Chesterman