News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66 Fleetwood exhaust leak that sounds like it's coming from rear of engine

Started by scotth3886, May 06, 2020, 11:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotth3886

66 Fleetwood exhaust leak that sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine or intake.

Have a slight exhaust leak so we did all gaskets today.  Luckily manifolds bolts came out easily so nothing broken. 

Sound level of leak cut in about half, but it still sounds like there's a leak coming from rear of intake or valley pan or ??

I'm about to order more gaskets for intake and valley pan.  Any idea of what could be leaking back there? 

Not sure this makes a lot of sense as exhaust is on the other side of the heads. 

Roger Zimmermann

I'm not too familiar with the details from those years, but I assume that your car has a cross-over pipe in the intake manifold. If this channel has a crack, it makes the noise you are hearing.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

scotth3886

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on May 07, 2020, 03:02:31 AM
I'm not too familiar with the details from those years, but I assume that your car has a cross-over pipe in the intake manifold. If this channel has a crack, it makes the noise you are hearing.

It has a cross-under pipe for the exhaust under the engine, but we checked all of that and replaced all gaskets yesterday so yes, it's got to be something to do with the intake.  This is my first experience with vintage Cadillac engines so I didn't know there was anything having to do with the exhaust in the intake. 

Wonder if this generally fixable or if I need to start scouting around for another intake?

scotth3886

Roger Zimmermann

Yes, of course, the tube for the choke is most probably broken/rusted away. This is a common issue.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

scotth3886

I'm just going to replace intake.  Looks several good one on ebay for a price. 

Appears that everyone knows about the issue except me.  A little learning curve going on. 

Thanks for everyone's patience with me.

gkhashem

why would you replace the intake? Is it cracked?

You replace the tube in side of it.  Its a straight tube the pulls hot air up to the external tube you see at the choke thermostat spring. (same material, as the external tube)

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: scotth3886 on May 07, 2020, 08:59:40 AM
I'm just going to replace intake.  Looks several good one on ebay for a price. 

But you don't know the condition of the tube! Mostly the sellers from those manifolds don't know the issue or dont want to remember it!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on May 07, 2020, 06:57:56 AM
Yes, of course, the tube for the choke is most probably broken/rusted away. This is a common issue.

I replaced my intake last year when I had my carb rebuilt as I had a spare intake blasted and painted on my shelf.  I did start to develop a tick last year.  The tube was partially crushed inside the intake.  I actually had to use a punch on the intake hole to get the new tube to carb piece to fit.  I started it up this year for first time and tick was gone.  However, a few minutes later, after warming up and tapping the gas pedal, it's back.  Could my partially crushed tube cause the tick?

As a side note, my exhaust manifold, gaskets, heat riser were all replaced around 5-6 years ago,  When I got this '65, heads were already rebuilt (who know when, but they were done and never had a tick until last) year.  Car also seem sluggish at times this year.   Thanks, Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

scotth3886

Quote from: gkhashem on May 07, 2020, 11:01:25 AM
why would you replace the intake? Is it cracked?

You replace the tube in side of it.  Its a straight tube the pulls hot air up to the external tube you see at the choke thermostat spring. (same material, as the external tube)

External tube has been replaced by electric choke. 

This is a small Chebbie dealer I use to help with most anything that's going to be noisy.  I'm very grateful they let me bring the car to them and their one really ace mechanic.  Since it's a small new car dealer, what I can't do is tie up a service bay or lift for days while we're waiting for parts or machine shop or whatever.  I have to be prepared so if I have to have a spare intake on hand, then I have to do it.

I have to be careful here at home.  Can be a pretty intrusive HOA here and I don't want to get them started at me.  No one here is a old car fan and they think I'm nuts already.  I don't want to confirm it.  We're not even supposed to have our garage door open except for in and out.  Luckily, I have woods behind my house and the garage partially behind the house or I would be a world of problems by now.  It's a great place to live and don't want to be known as the problem. 

scotth3886

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on May 07, 2020, 11:38:06 AM
But you don't know the condition of the tube! Mostly the sellers from those manifolds don't know the issue or dont want to remember it!

If I'm buying a supposedly near 'perfect' intake, how can I tell its OK without it being on the car?   I don't mind buying another intake, but it isn't appealing to do this several times.

gkhashem

Quote from: scotth3886 on May 07, 2020, 12:33:44 PM
External tube has been replaced by electric choke. 

This is a small Chebbie dealer I use to help with most anything that's going to be noisy.  I'm very grateful they let me bring the car to them and their one really ace mechanic.  Since it's a small new car dealer, what I can't do is tie up a service bay or lift for days while we're waiting for parts or machine shop or whatever.  I have to be prepared so if I have to have a spare intake on hand, then I have to do it.

I have to be careful here at home.  Can be a pretty intrusive HOA here and I don't want to get them started at me.  No one here is a old car fan and they think I'm nuts already.  I don't want to confirm it.  We're not even supposed to have our garage door open except for in and out.  Luckily, I have woods behind my house and the garage partially behind the house or I would be a world of problems by now.  It's a great place to live and don't want to be known as the problem.

If that's the case then I think you can block off the internal tube, since you have an electric choke.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

35-709

Quote from: gkhashem on May 07, 2020, 12:51:35 PM
If that's the case then I think you can block off the internal tube, since you have an electric choke.
Right!
Just in case, I will add ----- 
- Very often the location of an exhaust leak is where the intake manifold crossover mates with the exhaust manifold, the gasket is usually blown out --- first on the side of the heat riser valve which I think is on the passenger side on the 429, then later on the left or exit side if the right isn't repaired.  This is caused by the heat riser valve sticking/rusting shut so that hot exhaust gases are passing through that area at all times instead of just when the engine is warming up --- it was not designed, nor intended to have, that kind of constant high heat and pressure.  That passage is at the middle of the exhaust manifold/intake manifold and goes under the carburetor.  Have to assume your heat riser valve has been removed or is wired open since you have an electric choke --- make sure that is the case.
If there is an exhaust leak there and it is not repaired (new gasket - heat riser made to work, removed, or blocked open), the continuous hot exhaust gases will ultimately erode the contact surfaces to the point that even a new gasket will not prevent a leak from coming back, immediately or soon, without machine work being done (planing the surface).

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

scotth3886

Quote from: 35-709 on May 07, 2020, 01:55:02 PM
Right!
Just in case, I will add ----- 
- Very often the location of an exhaust leak is where the intake manifold crossover mates with the exhaust manifold, the gasket is usually blown out --- first on the side of the heat riser valve which I think is on the passenger side on the 429, then later on the left or exit side if the right isn't repaired.  This is caused by the heat riser valve sticking/rusting shut so that hot exhaust gases are passing through that area at all times instead of just when the engine is warming up --- it was not designed, nor intended to have, that kind of constant high heat and pressure.  That passage is at the middle of the exhaust manifold/intake manifold and goes under the carburetor.  Have to assume your heat riser valve has been removed or is wired open since you have an electric choke --- make sure that is the case.
If there is an exhaust leak there and it is not repaired (new gasket - heat riser made to work, removed, or blocked open), the continuous hot exhaust gases will ultimately erode the contact surfaces to the point that even a new gasket will not prevent a leak from coming back, immediately or soon, without machine work being done (planing the surface). 

All good reasons why I will have a 'spare' intake here before he starts on it.  It's cheaper than the labor to put it all back together and later take it apart again.  In once and done. 

Chuck Swanson

Good luck.  Can't believe these are going for $550.  I have one in that condition, and 12 more I need to clean up and have checked at my friends machine shop...I better get moving :) 

Please let us know how it works out, as my '65 Eldo  I believe has the same issue.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Well while you are trying all the other things suggested above you might just check and see if the insulator betwee your carb and the intake hasn't deteriorated.  This is a common problem since they were made of "space age materials" of the 50's  (Bakelite)
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

scotth3886

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on May 08, 2020, 11:02:00 PM
Well while you are trying all the other things suggested above you might just check and see if the insulator betwee your carb and the intake hasn't deteriorated.  This is a common problem since they were made of "space age materials" of the 50's  (Bakelite)
Greg Surfas

Thanks.  That will get addressed too.  I don't like paying labor for the same thing twice or doing the same thing over myself. 

scotth3886

Quote from: chrisntam on May 08, 2020, 11:06:14 PM
It's purdy!

8)

Thanks.  It was the most expensive one on ebay, but in the long run, the cheapest.  The one that's on the car now is pretty nasty looking so I would have had to media blast that one, fix whatever issues it has, etc., and all the while, tying his lift up.  If I do that a few times, I'm sure they will tell me that hey, they're a new car dealer and they can't tie their best mechanic and stall or lift up with my projects.  Goodbye.

And what I'm doing at home is a clear violation of HOA rules so that can lead to big issues too.