News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

73 ish cruise control cruise indicator light

Started by TJ Hopland, May 08, 2020, 01:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

73 and I assume other years in the era have a blue 'cruise' light next to the on off switch that lights up when the cruise is engaged.  The amber on off one is nice and visible but the cruise one barely seems to show even at night.  Anyone ever replace one with an LED to make it a little brighter without adding heat of a regular bulb?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Harley Earl

TJ, I have swapped out dash bulbs on a '74 CdV with great success in the past.  Have not messed with any indicator lights.  2500k to 3000k is the color temperature you are looking for.  The trick with this is finding the best QUALITY LED that is compatible.  I have used Super Bright LEDs interchange with varied success before.  Check the OEM manual for the bulb number and then pop it into the interchange on your chosen LED vendor's website.

LEDs make a tremendous difference in visibility, run cooler and use less energy.  On the down side, they are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations and poor grounding.  Worth the risk, in my opinion, if your charging system is in tip-top shape.  Now a judge may differ with me but I'm all about seeing things safely without taking my eyes off the road for longer than is necessary.
Hoping for a Standard Trans Cimarron

Previous
1950 Series 61 Sedan - Savoy Gray
1974 Coupe de Ville - Victorian Amber Firemist
1959 Coupe de Ville - Brenton Blue
And 20 "other" Cadillacs from the 40s to the 80s

Cadillac Fleetwood

TJ, In 1970, and in 1971-72-73, the cruise engaged indicator illuminates the word CRUISE in green.  There is a plastic socket on the back of the switch which holds a 1445 or 53 type bulb.  Because the socket is plastic, it often works its way out of the back of the dash switch, so the bulb is not shining into chamber within the switch which directs the bulb illumination to the CRUISE indicator.  Check the bulb socket to make certain it is fully seated.  The bulbs often develop a sticky "film" on them. Remove the bulb and clean any film that you find on it.  Cleaning the bulb can make a significant difference in the brightness of the indicator.

-Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

TJ Hopland

Its supposed to be green huh?  Mine looks blue but you can only sorta see it at night so maybe it is just badly misaligned or a little burnt.  Will have to investigate soon.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason