News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

36’ LaSalle 248 inline 8

Started by Cadjin Dex, May 08, 2020, 08:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadjin Dex

I have a friend in my area who has a 1936 LaSalle with, if I recall correctly, is the 248 inline 8.  We need technical advice regarding main bearing and camshaft bearings. Regarding the main bearings, are they Babbitt and need to be poured/bored or is there an insert bearing that will work. And what can be done about the cam bearing?
The local engine machine  shop has the motor is at is obviously clueless. They don’t pour Babbitt or even line bore.  Fellows, please advise me accordingly so we can get this old car back on the road.

I’m aware there may be “variable “ solutions to fixing what existing bearings are there. With earlier 4 cylinders, a Chevrolet, I once heard of a guy shimming up the center main and taking a light pass with the line bore..

Jeff Hansen

Dexter,

From reading the Cadillac Master Parts List and the 1936 LaSalle Data Book (the data book is available at this link:  https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Cadillac/1936_LaSalle_VVI.pdf), all the bearings are insert bearings and not poured babbitt. 

The 1934 - 36 LaSalle shared some engine parts with Oldsmobile.  I personally can't say with any certainty that Olds bearings would work as I don't have any way to compare the two - I'm a Cadillac guy, not an Olds guy.   :)   But that angle is certainly worth pursuing and may be your best bet. See this thread on the AACA's message forum:  https://forums.aaca.org/topic/165325-1936-lasalle-valves-oldsmobile/ 

Your friend may want to consider a machine shop that has experience with older engines.  An LS motor and an inline LaSalle are two totally different beasts.

I mentioned the LaSalle data book above.  The GM Heritage Center has downloadable PDFs for LaSalles of that era (one PDF per year, one or more documents in each PDF).  Might be worth looking through them.  The link to get there is https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

I hope this helps - and please keep us posted!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Tom Boehm

Here is a page from the book "Lasalle Cadillac's Companion Car" by CLC members Matt Larson and Ron Vangelderen. It talks about the differences between the Oldsmobile engine and the Lasalle engine. The main bearing dimensions are not the same.

I'm sorry I don't know why it is upsidedown or how to fix it.

cadillac ken

I would look for an independent machinist in your area.  Most shops these days that do engines just see a project like yours as a real pain and too much trouble as well as not having the knowledge or the want to gather the info needed.  Too much easy money to be made on the new stuff.  At least that's what I have found.

Armed with the specs and the proper procedures I can imagine any competent machinist that would take pride in his work would be a good fit for something like your engine. FWIW

Jeff Hansen

Tom's attachment - rotated.   :)
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Cadjin Dex

Thank you all. I have emailed Kantors and Egge Machine to see if they can supply replacement bearings.  Any further thoughts and input would be appreciated.

35-709

For peace of mind, I would definitely use the bearings from Egge Machine!!  'Nuff said.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2