News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Eldorado rear bearing grease seal

Started by wrench, May 09, 2020, 12:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrench

I want to pop the rear drums and inspect the brakes and repack the rear bearings.

I know you guys can’t be specific about the condition of my grease seals, but as a general rule can the inner bearing seals be removed and reinstalled for this task or do I specifically need to replace during this task?

Any hints on popping them out to keep them intact?

Any clues on where I can find them ahead of time to have on hand?

I did a cursory search on the google box and the price I saw was eye opening without doing an in depth search

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

billmorrow

Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~

wrench

Quote from: billmorrow on May 09, 2020, 01:46:30 AM
did you check rockauto.com..?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,1970,eldorado,8.2l+500cid+v8,1025840,brake+&+wheel+hub,wheel+seal,1860

I had not. I really should have. I’m must be getting lazy, I guess. Thanks for the info. $2.22 is a lot better than $100.

I know about them, but believe it or not, have not had too much difficulty finding parts locally or with a simple google search.

I’m probably going to need a Rock Auto credit card going forward, lol.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

billmorrow

good..
i'll bet that the grease seals are not specific to the eldorado but were used on other GM cars.. toronado for sure.. maybe some buicks..
there used to be a parts cross reference book for just this need..
Bill Morrow
Admin/owner:
forum.thinkpads.com
thinkpads.com
billmorrow.com

the stable:
'06 SL55 AMG
'59 Cadillac 62 Convertible
'70 ElDorado, 98k miles, all original
'96 Fleetwood Broughm, Red, 37k miles
2 - '95 & 1 '92 Buick Roadmaster Wagons

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~

hornetball

Grease seals must be replaced to repack.

When I did my '74, it had original grease (!) and OEM felt-type grease seals that I had never seen before.  They were cool, but it wasn't possible to save them.  Modern replacements will be synthetic rubber.

While you're back there, press on the rubber part of your wheel cylinders to make sure they don't have a leak.

wrench

Quote from: hornetball on May 09, 2020, 10:09:28 AM
Grease seals must be replaced to repack.

When I did my '74, it had original grease (!) and OEM felt-type grease seals that I had never seen before.  They were cool, but it wasn't possible to save them.  Modern replacements will be synthetic rubber.

While you're back there, press on the rubber part of your wheel cylinders to make sure they don't have a leak.

Ok thanks, that was what I was thinking.

Also, I do usually peel back the boots on the wheel cylinders to check for leaks to at least gauge the system integrity.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

wrench

Quote from: billmorrow on May 09, 2020, 03:08:28 AM
good..
i'll bet that the grease seals are not specific to the eldorado but were used on other GM cars.. toronado for sure.. maybe some buicks..
there used to be a parts cross reference book for just this need..

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. That they would be common items, then I saw some of the pricing in the usual suspect vendor’s websites and thought $100 was a bit much.

It’s funny since I clicked on that link I have gotten 2 emails from Rock Auto...

Gotta love the Information Age and it’s digital minions working in the background...
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

chrisntam

Quote from: wrench on May 09, 2020, 02:36:04 AM
I had not. I really should have. I’m must be getting lazy, I guess. Thanks for the info. $2.22 is a lot better than $100.

I know about them, but believe it or not, have not had too much difficulty finding parts locally or with a simple google search.

I’m probably going to need a Rock Auto credit card going forward, lol.

Be sure to enjoy the easily obtainable 5% discount codes.  Since they started collecting tax, it helps.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas