News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1962 Series 62 Rear Seat Removal

Started by Goeking, May 10, 2020, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goeking

Hi all, I've researched the forum and can't find anything to help me remove the rear seat. I'm doing a lot of other maintenance along with trying to replace the rear speaker. The manual says to remove two Phillips screws and the speaker grill can be removed. Well, I can't find any Phillips screws around the grill and I haven't been able to remove the rear seat to see if the Phillips screws are in the back of the seat. I did find in the forum, a lot newer rear seat came out after he used a cheater bar to add some upward motion.  He said it took a lot of force to override the spring latch.  The bottom of the seat is out, no problem. The back of the seat is loose on the bottom, the two hooks look like they should of been in cups on the floor board, but they are free, blowing in the wind. The bottom part of the back seat is loose and trying to lift up on the bottom of the back cushion, nothing will budge. Suggestions?? I don't want to break anything of course, but I'm determined to get this task moving along. I'm leery of using a cheater bar to add force, but is that what it will take?

BlackCads

One thing to look for is possible "mickey-mousing" with the rear seat back. I had a 1963 convertible where some previous owner had fastened the rear seat back with two large sheet metal screws hidden under the convertible top well liner. Definitely not "factory" and not mentioned in the shop manual but if I hadn't found those screws I would never have been able to remove the rear seat back.

bctexas

Does the back seat have a center armrest?  If so, and if it is like my '65 CDV, there may be two screws behind the armrest holding the seatback in place.  In my car they were accessible by folding the armrest down, and pushing the "curtain" above it to one side.  There is one screw on either side.

I've not seen a '63 convertible, so forgive me if this is off base.....

1965 CDV
1970 SDV