News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965 Cadillac 4dht. Tail Light Issue

Started by yo_cleveland, May 11, 2020, 11:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yo_cleveland

Help!  I'm struggling with my right rear tail light.  The light works when I turn on the lights but it doesn't light up with the brakes?  Does it have to something with only one of the contacts on the bulb?  (I did change the bulb and tried in the other light to make sure no issues with the bulb.)  Please advise?   Thank you in advance.

Cadman-iac

The power path for the brake lights goes through the turn signal switch. If your switch is not in the center position,  this could be causing the problem.
One test is to turn on the turn signal for that side and see if it lights. Both the turn signal and the brake light uses the same bulb filament,  so if one works, the other should as well.
If the signal does work but the brake will not,  then you have a defective signal switch if after you center it the brake light still doesn't work.
A lot of times the plastic rots on the switch from the heat inside the car, the sunlight that gets to it between the wheel and the column,  and just plain time.
Does the lever flop around some instead of being stiff and or firmly mounted on the column?
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

yo_cleveland

Richard,  I think you’re spot on! I am having an issue with the turn signal switch on that side, it’s limp when I signal in that direction. The other turn signal works fine and so does the same bulb for both brakes and signal. Thank you for the knowledge and insights...  Made another post looking for a turn signal switch and may have found one.

Cadman-iac

I'm glad you got the answer you were looking for, and that I was able to help with your diagnosis. Good luck with your search for the switch.
In some cases,  the only thing that is broken is the cancelling cam that the lever is actually mounted to. Although I'm not sure if it is available separately for all models.
Have you had your column apart to inspect the switch yet?

Rick
CLC# 32373

yo_cleveland

I have not had to call him a part to inspect the switch to determine if that were the fault lies. However I was able to find another switch from another user in the forum.
Is there a fix if it is just the canceling cam?

Cadman-iac

Yes, if the cam can be bought separately, and provided that it didn't do any damage to the contacts on the lower portion of the switch.  They are typically just small metal strips bent in such a fashion that when the lever is moved, it moves one into another to make the necessary contacts.
A lot of times though, it's just easier to replace the whole switch than to try and fix the strips so that they work properly again.
And if memory serves, I think the tilt telescope column switch cam isn't available separately. If you just had a tilt, or a straight column,  I  believe you can get a cancel cam for it. At least that's what I've found in the past.

Hope this helps.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi

What? No more "Cadmaniac" handle Richard? Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Thanks Clay,
I modified something and must have erased it. It's back now, I think.
CLC# 32373

chrisntam

Quote from: Richard Cook on May 12, 2020, 07:40:32 PM
Thanks Clay,
I modified something and must have erased it. It's back now, I think.

Nope, You are now Richard Cook, no longer Cadmaniac.

;D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cadman-iac

Yeah, it's there now, just above the picture of my car. Unless only I can see it,  but it's there.
Rick
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Cadman-iac

CLC# 32373

Lexi

Yep. First we had the end of the CLC Mid-Century Forum in February, then the pandemic and lock downs in March. To contemplate the loss of the "Cadman-iac" moniker would have been just too much. So glad it is still there.  :)  Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: lexi on May 13, 2020, 06:56:14 PM
Yep. First we had the end of the CLC Mid-Century Forum in February, then the pandemic and lock downs in March. To contemplate the loss of the "Cadman-iac" moniker would have been just too much. So glad it is still there.  :)  Clay/Lexi

Well it's always good to know that you would be missed! LOL!!
I don't even remember what I was trying to do that managed to erase my "moniker" as you put it. I finally figured out how to put it back though.
Many thanks to my fan for his concern!!! I really do appreciate it! LOL!!!
I love you man!!!
CLC# 32373

Lexi

We are all breathing a sigh of relief. Cadman-iac is back! ;)  Clay/Lexi