News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66 Valve guides

Started by scotth3886, May 13, 2020, 03:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotth3886

How big of a job to do valve guides in 66 429?  I'm replacing intake anyway to deal with exhaust leak and while it's off, what else?

After oil change last week, on start up after it sits all night I'm seeing blue smoke for a few seconds, but only on start up, which tells me valve guides.  Didn't really notice anything until after oil change so it looks like someone might well have added some secret sauce additive to quell it until sold. 

Since heads have to come off, I guess a valve job would be prudent.  Oh hell, why not find a rebuilt 472 to drop in?  Right?

I'm trying to figure out what order to do things so I don't end up doing them twice. 

It never ends !!

Dan LeBlanc

Your valve guides are probably fine.  Blue smoke on startup would be valve stem seals replaceable with the heads on the car.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

scotth3886

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on May 13, 2020, 03:14:44 PM
Your valve guides are probably fine.  Blue smoke on startup would be valve stem seals replaceable with the heads on the car.

Right.  Should have said seals.  Heads have to come off to do this, correct?

Cadman-iac

No, not to replace the seals. There's a tool you can get to use an air hose in the spark plug hole that allows you to remove the valve springs without dropping a valve into the cylinder. The air pressure holds your valves closed.
My compression tester has a coupler on it that matches my air hose fitting, so that's what I use to do this with.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

scotth3886

Quote from: Cadman-iac on May 13, 2020, 03:45:44 PM
No, not to replace the seals. There's a tool you can get to use an air hose in the spark plug hole that allows you to remove the valve springs without dropping a valve into the cylinder. The air pressure holds your valves closed.
My compression tester has a coupler on it that matches my air hose fitting, so that's what I use to do this with.

Rick

THANK YOU !!!!

It's a new car Chebbie dealer close by who is remarkably talented when it come to old cars.   

The deal is that I make sure that I have parts in hand so I don't tie one their few lifts or stalls up waiting for parts.  So far, I've been 100% ….. so keeps them happy and keep the neighbors in this HOA out of it so they don't burn me at the stake.  Not the cheapest way to do things, but if it's going to be a little noisy, I pretty much have to.