News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Got the 1958 Out Today. Note Dressed Up Battery

Started by Jon S, May 14, 2020, 12:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

It felt good to get the car out for a spin this morning. The weather is beautiful here on Long Island.  Although the Interstate dressed up battery is not 100% of what the original battery looked like I am very happy with the result.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

BlackCads

You could have fooled me!
Car (and battery) look great.
If there's anything good about our current situation traffic is a lot lighter these days making it easier to pilot our "yachts".

Cadman-iac

"Hard to port Mr. Shrivers! Full speed ahead!"
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Lexi

Yes, "weigh anchor" and "Damn the torpedoes". Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: lexi on May 14, 2020, 01:36:12 PM
Yes, "weigh anchor" and "Damn the torpedoes". Clay/Lexi

"Torpedoes", isn't that just another word for "toyota"?
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Could be. Up here, it seems that a lot of "Beamers" are the torpedoes. Many crazies out there, piloting those cars. Fortunately we got 5 water tight bulkhead compartments. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

Quote from: lexi on May 14, 2020, 01:54:55 PM
Could be. Up here, it seems that a lot of "Beamers" are the torpedoes. Many crazies out there, piloting those cars. Fortunately we got 5 water tight bulkhead compartments. Clay/Lexi

The "beamers" are the "V2's", the "Toyotas" are the "Kamakazis",
And you still have to watch out for the icebergs! They are all dangerous.
CLC# 32373

Lexi

Haha. I guess the V1s are the crazies on the motor bikes darting in and out of slower moving traffic, though they sometimes behave more like kamikazes as many of them drive as though they have a death wish. Almost took one out with my left dagmar last year. Boy was that rider surprised when he cut close in front of me-only see another 2 or 3 feet of lethal chrome. If choppy seas, do as Tony Curtis suggested in Some Like it Hot onboard The New Caledonia yacht; head for the "storm cellar". Clay/Lexi

BTW Jon-nice to see you had your land yacht out today. I weighed anchor briefly yesterday.

Cadman-iac

"Lethal Dagmars"!!!  Yes, everybody else must watch out for those!
CLC# 32373

Lexi

This yahoo on the "crotch rocket" deliberately cut me off-and was doin' the whole lean out thing as he grazed by my front clip, real close. He obviously did not expect to see mounds of chrome laden bumper as he made a correction at the last instant, dangerously wobbled, but recovered in the nick of time. An idiot to be sure, who almost paid with his life. If he fell I could not have stopped in time. He would have had 2.5 - 3 tons of Series 75 rolling over him at about 30 mph. Back to the nautical jokes, Lexi's rudder is sluggish and would not have been capable of avoiding a strike. For the rest of the day she "zig-zagged" to avoid similar torpedoes. Clay/Lexi

Cadman-iac

So would you say that this could have been his final "docking maneuver"?
He would have become just so much "chum" then.

Of course all the lawyers, or "sharks" would have been all over you.

CLC# 32373

Lexi

:) ;) :D ;D Yep. Almost sent him to "Davey Jones's locker". The old "Deep Six". And to elevate him to the Jetson's era, he almost took that rocket ride into space. You are hilarious Cadman-iac. And kudos for Jon for putting up with us in his thread! Clay/Lexi

P.S. Should Jon read this, what exactly is not quite 100% with your battery's appearance?

Cadman-iac

You mean he almost turned his "crotch rocket" into a "cruise missile" don't you?

And to stay on topic,  I didn't see anything wrong with that battery.  Maybe it's not quite the right size or something, you can't really tell from the picture, as half of it is hidden.
CLC# 32373

Jon S

Quote from: Cadman-iac on May 14, 2020, 04:56:38 PM
You mean he almost turned his "crotch rocket" into a "cruise missile" don't you?

And to stay on topic,  I didn't see anything wrong with that battery.  Maybe it's not quite the right size or something, you can't really tell from the picture, as half of it is hidden.

I added a third picture
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Cadman-iac

Well, it almost looks like it doesn't fit into the battery tray correctly. Is that the issue you're having?
CLC# 32373

Lexi

That is what I thought. Would like to know more about the battery issue. I have one here, NOS, dating from probably 1959, and is said to be the proper replacement battery used for 1956 Cadillac. Been seriously considering buying acid for it as the cells appear rust free. Just have not had the heart to do this and start the self destructing process that will occur, once acid is put into the cells. I had a battery expert tell me that with respect to my car, the battery that was installed by the factory would have been slightly different than the one I have, which is considered the replacement battery, even if purchased in 1956. In my case I believe the difference was the name "Delco" on the side panel; painted vs non-painted. Not 100% on that though. Perhaps Jon's battery also to appear "factory" correct should not have "Delco" in yellow on the side. Anyone know the answer to this? Clay/Lexi

Jon S

Lexi -  The battery is actually an Interstate Group 27 battery (closest size to the original) to which I added custom individual vinyl cut letters to the front that duplicate the original raised letters that came on the battery with the car. In addition I replaced the (2) 3 gang cell covers with individual press in Delco vented caps I had a friend design in Belgium. The actual spacing of the caps is different than the original Factory battery would have been but from my point of view, I think it looks fantastic.  As you know I don’t have the car judged and show it very infrequently.  I just enjoy driving it and enjoying it.  My dad bought this car Brand new in August 1958.

I showed the battery to my friend Who is a 1957 Chevy fanatic today, and he was trying to lift the top of the battery off thinking it was a Topper.   He was very impressed with how it looked.   I’m happy with the outcome.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Lexi

Jon thanks. I love your car and the fact that it is still in the family blows me away. Clay/Lexi

TonyZappone #2624

I buy those DELCO stickers from the guy in Ohio.  As much as I want to spend to make my battery in the '58 semi-authentic (about $5.00) 
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Jon S

Quote from: TonyZappone #2624 on May 15, 2020, 05:56:41 AM
I buy those DELCO stickers from the guy in Ohio.  As much as I want to spend to make my battery in the '58 semi-authentic (about $5.00)

Tony - Those stickers you buy are not individual letters but come on a glossy black square that looks funky. Mine are individual letters.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT