News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Cadillac Series 62 fog lamps/turn signals

Started by marnaw, May 16, 2020, 04:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marnaw

Hi Guys.I noticed on the web photos that some cars got fog lamps,other turn signals in the front.Mine has got turn signals.I assume fog lamps were an option.If the car had only fog lamps,so it didn’t have any front turn signals,right?So what about turning in the streets.Or fog lamps acted also as turning signals?
And a 2nd question-if I want to swap my turn signals lamps into fog lamps,do I have to change sth in the turning signal switch,cause now this one will be devoted to fog lamps,right?
1959 Cadillac 6200 series
1953 Cadillac 62 series
2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1969 Buick Riviera
1995 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon

Cadillac Fleetwood

Fog lamps were an extra-cost accessory. They were in ADDITION to the turn signals and parking lights, not IN LIEU of them.  A car equipped with fog lamps had the parking and turn signal bulb, as well as the larger, brighter fog lamp bulb, housed within a much larger lamp.  Note the manner in which the diecast trim at either side of the grille has a large opening which will accommodate the signal/parking lamp and the surrounding diecast filler, or the larger lamp for fog lamp equpped cars.

Adding this accessory will require the LH and RH fog lamps, the   foglight switch, as well as the interconnecting wiring.

Fog lamps made their last appearance on Cadillacs as a factory accessory during the 1962 model year.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

G Pennington

The larger #1026 bulb at the focal point of the reflector has two filaments: the higher wattage is the fog light, the lower wattage in the front turn signal.  The smaller #67 single filament bulb in the lower part of the housing functions as the parking light.
The fog light and non-fog light cars use the same turn signal switch & wiring.  But would will need to add a fog light switch (under dash).  See circuit diagram on p. 102 of your 1953 Shop Manual supplement.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

marnaw

1953 Cadillac 62 series
1969 Buick Riviera

marnaw

1953 Cadillac 62 series
1969 Buick Riviera

Dave Ventresca

one suggestion, the fog lite switch tends to corrode inside. the fog/parking bulb will flicker when you go backand forth.  On both my cars, I simply sprayed wd40 in the switch and that cleans it up. you don't want to dissassemble. Dave

marnaw

1953 Cadillac 62 series
1969 Buick Riviera