News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Second Day of Ownership

Started by Ohjai, May 19, 2020, 06:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohjai

Well my second day of ownership of a Cadillac is about over, but so far I have been unable to find the OBD-!! connector on my 1941 Sixty Special.  Without the OBD, how am I going to know what my new baby needs?

:) ;) :D ;D

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

Caddyholic

I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Cadman-iac

Before OBD II  you had to carefully hug your baby and listen closely to what she is telling you. If you have any problems,  you plug into the TLC port.
Hope this helps!

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Ohjai

Jim And Rick, I suppose I will have to dwell on that TLC port.  Is TLC an acronym for"That Lovely Cadillac"?

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
2020 Ford Escape

Cadman-iac

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it works for me!

Rick
CLC# 32373

Harley Earl

Quote from: Ohjai on May 19, 2020, 06:13:05 PM
Well my second day of ownership of a Cadillac is about over, but so far I have been unable to find the OBD-!! connector on my 1941 Sixty Special.  Without the OBD, how am I going to know what my new baby needs?

:) ;) :D ;D

Jim

Welcome, A stethoscope works wonders!  Glad your '41 is alive and well, my '41 was last seen in 1998 at A&A Cadillac in Brentwood, CA...
Hoping for a Standard Trans Cimarron

Previous
1950 Series 61 Sedan - Savoy Gray
1974 Coupe de Ville - Victorian Amber Firemist
1959 Coupe de Ville - Brenton Blue
And 20 "other" Cadillacs from the 40s to the 80s

Ohjai

Well Harley Earl, it seems to me 1998 to 2020 is about 22 years,after about 57 years of heavy drinking, oh you said A&A not AA, pardon me. :D
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
2020 Ford Escape

Harley Earl

Quote from: Ohjai on May 19, 2020, 09:49:11 PM
Well Harley Earl, it seems to me 1998 to 2020 is about 22 years,after about 57 years of heavy drinking, oh you said A&A not AA, pardon me. :D

Might as well have been AA, that was a sad day.  Many of our Cadillac bretheren got tons of rust free California Central Valley Cadillac parts from my "donation".

Previous

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Harley Earl on May 19, 2020, 09:36:58 PM
Welcome, A stethoscope works wonders!

If you don't have a stethoscope,  you can always use a broomstick. That was an old mechanics trick that I had been told about and it does actually work too.
CLC# 32373

TJ Hopland

I thought the OBD port was the one when you press it in it pops out then you light the mechanic's cigarette and he tells you how much its gonna cost?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Cadman-iac

Quote from: TJ Hopland on May 19, 2020, 09:57:25 PM
I thought the OBD port was the one when you press it in it pops out then you light the mechanic's cigarette and he tells you how much its gonna cost?
Would that be an "Oxygen Burning Device" perhaps?
CLC# 32373

Harley Earl

Quote from: TJ Hopland on May 19, 2020, 09:57:25 PM

My death stick lighter says "Eject".  If the price is too high, I press it before the technician or shop owner's coffin nail get's ignited. I'll be a first timer at another high-end shop when the repair cost "exceeds expectations" (first time in a shop is generally less money - repair shop trade secret...). 

I have used the broomstick method too in the past.  Appreciate the mention as it works wonders too!

Previous

Cadman-iac

Where are my manners? Before I go any further,  congratulations on your new car Jim,  and welcome to the club. I hope you have many miles and smiles of enjoyment from your baby.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Caddyholic

Do you mean OCD? Old Cadillac Disorder. I hope to see you and your car at one of the STL CLC meetings. When ever that is.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

bctexas

You don't use OBD - you use one of these!    ;)
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

chrisntam

Quote from: bctexas on May 20, 2020, 03:02:29 PM
You don't use OBD - you use one of these!    ;)

That's what I need!!!

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

fishnjim

Grand old cars.   Good motoring.  Take care of it, you're just caretaker for the next owner.

I think those Sun machines came after '41 as well?   At least the ones with the fancy oscilloscope.  I think there was a Cad hand held diagnostic machine.   I got a book on it somewhere.
This is last of the pre-war cars, flathead, headlight in the fenders, art deco, motor car, and spark plug cleaning machine era.   The tool kit was a screw driver, lug wrench, and a pair of pliers.   May've even still used alcohol in the radiator...

To each his own.   I contemplated buying an unmolested '41, but I'm not a fan of the cow catcher grille period and flatheads.   

The Tassie Devil(le)

This one is even older, and still works.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

64\/54Cadillacking

That’s awesome! Always loved 30’s and 40’s Cads. At least with our old machines, basic maintenance really meant “basic” unlike with today’s cars.

These old relics can get on your nerves when they misbehave, but with a 12 pack of ice cold beer, it can minimize the effects of wanting to take a hammer and breaking something on it. Lol! Then after you’re all done, you fall right back in love with your baby. 8) ;) :D
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

fishnjim

I checked my book and the Cadillac "thoro-check" engine diagnostic system came in two versions.   There's one from '37 to '47(flatties) and '48-'60.(OHV V-8)
It has all the diagnostics/tools/specs used that they had back in the era.   It's also just a good reference/read for those that aren't up to speed on carb/points era cars on how to diagnose and cure issues.   They're available in repro for a small fee from the usual sources, Faxon, Bishco, Ebay, etc.  The info is priceless.   
I also have a period 30-40s Motors manual that has a chapter for Cadillac(346).   I tried to get CLC to create an archive space for postings of this type info, but have so far been ignored.

The Sun analyzers didn't appear til early '60s, from what I can tell and remember.   The distributor machines (#100s) were earlier, and even war era.   They're referenced in thoro-check.   They are all out of production now, even the last King Electronics Co. disappeared in 2015.   So another buggy whip of history soon to completely disappear without clubs/people like us...   The prices are rising.   Unfortunately, I doubt most that own one know how to use it(garage art).   I never did, but wish I had one right now...  There's one commercial guy that still restores and rebuilds them, that I know of.   They're running $3-5K per unit restored.   There's a few places that will do dist work, but they're drying up as well.   (Used to be able to go to parts store and get dist parts, springs, weights, etc to modify curves/repair.   I look but don't see any parts out there anymore/for some time.   I recall I accidently popped/lost a weight spring off during a tune-up in the 60's and went to parts store and procured one.)