News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Is your Cadillac sitting on Harbor Frieght jackstands?

Started by GBrown #8092, May 20, 2020, 06:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

If so, don't get under it, until you check them.

As though we don't have enough to worry about, there is a recall for Harbor Freight jack stands. 6 ton sold between 2013 and 2019 and and 3 ton 2012 and 2020.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a32600586/harbor-freight-jack-stands-recalled-for-risk-of-collapsing/

Our Cadillacs  are heavy, and we consider our members to be irreplaceable. 

Glenn

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

39LaSalleDriver

I bought those two years ago to rebuild the suspension on my 39 LaSalle. I have to say they were under there for over two months with no problems but I could see the potential for it. Needless to say, today I took them back and got a gift card refund.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

Lexi

chrisntam

NOT a good tool to have a recall on or fail.  If I use stands, I always still have the floor jack under the frame and under load should something happen to the stands.  I've also moved away from the stands and bought wheel cribs that go under the wheels.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

scotth3886

That sure made me go dig them out and check.  I didn't have any of the ones that were recalled, but I'm still very careful with potentially life ending tools such as that.  I just leave the floor jack under there and not rely exclusively on the jack stands.

Thanks for the heads up !!

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have always been very wary of any Jack Stand that has a ratcheting mechanism, and is made of Cast Iron.   And, especially from Asian makers.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

cadman56

Great post.  Thanks.
I use the premium NAPA jack stands.  In addition, I have a pair of locally made stands from a Caterpillar company used for the big Cats.
Never go cheap on something like this.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

TJ Hopland

On that kind of stuff I always try and oversize as much as possible.  If I got to hold up 2 tons I would prefer to use the 6 ton model.  If I was going to do 6 tons I think I would want 12.   And like others most of the time I will also leave the jack under there too if I can.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

MaR

Quote from: TJ Hopland on May 21, 2020, 11:21:21 AM
On that kind of stuff I always try and oversize as much as possible.  If I got to hold up 2 tons I would prefer to use the 6 ton model.  If I was going to do 6 tons I think I would want 12.   And like others most of the time I will also leave the jack under there too if I can.
I have always been a "belt and suspenders" kind of person when it comes to supporting cars that I'm going to climb under. My dads "jack stands" were giant chunks of railroad ties...

cadillacmike68

My old Craftsman jack stands were made in the US.

I always keep the jack in place as well. My face doesn't look too good all squashed.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

GBrown #8092

Make sure those aren't those stamped steel Craftsman jack stands. They issued a warning on those a number of years ago for collapsing. I confess, I've spent time under cars supported bay both. Little did I know, I guess I'm lucky I'm still here!

Glenn

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Thanks. I saw that too and plan to return them this weekend. Now I just need to figure out which ones are the best to buy.
Hey, at least it's an excuse to get out of the house!!

Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

walt chomosh #23510

As a HS freshman, a buddy of mine asked me to help him with removing a transmission from his Studebaker. I LOVED working on cars and he was somewhat advanced over me so it was an opportunity to gain more experience. I was 15 at the time and there was a rare HS football game being played that Saturday so I also saw it as an opportunity to see some girls....I chose GIRLS! He lost his life under that car. My father, a welder, then made a set of jackstands for me. (I still have them today) Crawling under a car without proper support stands is along the line of playing a round a gas tank with a torch.....you may get away with it but you may not. I ALWAYS use not only jackstands,but 4x6 wooden safety blocks,and my floor jack. I've heard other mechanics say metal will bend,wood can snap(tooth picks),and hydraulic jacks can leak. Even the drive up ramps can fail unless proper safety methods are used. Safety first!....walt...tulsa,ok 

LaSalle5019

I just went to look at my 6 ton jack stands which have a similar ratcheting design since they look like the Harbor Freight ones.  I forgot that in addition to the ratchet support, they also have a pin that goes into the heavy cast iron telescoping part with a hole at each ratchet height. I't about a 1/2" pin in double shear as a backup to the ratchet support.  My NAPA ones don't have that extra level of safety.

Thanks for the warning.

Scot Minesinger

Honestly, will manufacturers ever grow a set of morals instead of chasing the last fraction of a penny.  I always leave the jack in place too, but sometimes when the car needs to be supported on all four corners that is no good.  Some white collar crimes should be punished much more harshly.

Those are the exact same kind I have purchased from NAPA or Autozone.  Thanks for the warning.  Obviously a jack stand failure could end or seriously hamper the ability to enjoy life (or end it).
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

In my college days I did a lot of work on cars for food and rent money.  I have to admit I used a lot of things to hold vehicles up so I could work under them.  As soon as I could (1966 or so) I bought a pair of these for something like $75.00 (remember in 1966 what you could buy for $75.00?).
I have never looked back. Having had a lot of cheap tools break while I have been using them and the resultant injuries I think I can truthfully say that since that same 1966 date, I have never bought any cheap tool that could result in a repetition of said injuries.
These things are heavy and not the easiest to manipulate, but they Probably will not fail.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

chrisntam

I recall Hein-Warner being a quality tool, they made jacks and likely jack stands.  Similar color to what Greg has.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Ok, now that I need to buy new ones, what are the best reasonably priced jackstands out there?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

39LaSalleDriver

Most people would crap if they saw what I grew up with.  :D

We had an old shed which had long since collapsed and been hauled away. My dad decided that would be an excellent place to build his own grease pit. Using the broken, uneven, and crumbling concrete foundation on one side as a base for a "ramp" he took a couple of 2 x 6 planks nailed together, and evened them out with bricks. On the other side, he used 2 x 6s to make a semi normal ramp that was propped up on one end by concrete blocks. Then we would lay down a piece of corrugated roofing to slide under the car with. Talk about a cockeyed, rickety, and dangerous arrangement! But I drove many a car up on that mess in my day :D For pulling engines, he'd rig up a tripod made of about 18' long, 5" diameter debarked locust trees with a steel cable attached at the apex. We'd hook a come along up there and lift them right out.

Hindsight is 20/20 and thankfully I don't ever plan to have to work that way again. Certainly I encourage people to work safely and take precautions. On the other hand, I do think today society has been litigated to the point they're afraid of their own shadow, so people will just have to excuse my lack of hand wringing about such things. I've done much worse in my day. I grew up on a farm in a world where you had to make do with what you had. No running off to the local Wal-Mart, Harbor Freight, or Home Depot to buy a specialized tool or device to get the job done. As such, I just don't get too worked up about that kind of stuff.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019