News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Parts I should look at stockpiling (1970 Eldorado)

Started by Anderson, May 21, 2020, 07:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anderson

What it says on the tin: Are there any parts it would be...unusually wise of me to stockpile if I come across them, presuming that I have some storage space?  I'm mainly thinking of things that might take longer than "normal" to track down if they break (or which otherwise might be a bit of a pain in such a situation).

TJ Hopland

Just to have handy spares or now that toilet paper has slightly less value you have room in your secret vault?

Secret vault wise and not being a 70 owner myself the only thing that pops into my head is the horizontal shocks?  But those are also an item that I don't believe has the greatest shelf life.    I'm thinking by 70 you had the same brake and running gear parts as the 71-78's which for the most part still seem to be available.    I could be wrong about that so maybe someone that actually knows 70 better than me can speak up.

For handy spares I always try to keep 5 tire valve stems on hand.  Those are almost never in stock 'in town' so can be a real day wrecker if you suddenly have a tire issue that requires or would be a convenient time to replace the stems.   Transmission filter and gaskets can be tricky to get quickly (and the correct one) sometimes.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

Any NOS stuff you can find at a decent price.
Front parking lenses, any switches accessory items.
I have an extra dealer data book for 1970 which is very informative and has paint and interior samples.
Get a 1970 shop manual and service bulletins. All good reading and you get to learn all about your car.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

wrench

I believe proper front axles, knuckles and front bearings.

I have read a lot here about those.

I have not had to go after them yet, but I am starting to hear what I think could be a bearing noise, can’t tell if it’s front or back, but it’s going on my lift soon and going to find out what it is and what difficulties in parts support exist.

Also, one of my axle boots is torn, so I will be going after that. I have read somewhere, that the mount holes of the currently available axles are too large so some sort of bushing is required.

1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Scot Minesinger

That question depends a lot upon what you can fix yourself. 

Even though parts are available, they often take some time to arrive and sometimes are not available when you do need them.  For me, I have what seems to be almost everything.  Head bolts, exhaust manifold bolts, vacuum check valve on firewall, brake pads, valve stems, bleeders, exhaust manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets and grommets, spark plugs, spark plug wires, rebuilt carb, suspension parts, starter, water pump, climate control parts, Pertronix ignition spare, distributor cap and rotor, coil, hoses, belts, alternator, shop supplies, fluids, special fasteners and the like.  I left off many components. 

Then again, I have three 1970 RWD Cadillacs and work on other Cadillacs from 1965 thru 1976 that share some of these parts.  I have climate control parts for 1965 thru 1976 Cadillacs too.

Also, I do have many trim and interior parts too, plus bumpers, fenders, doors and etc.

Yes, I'm kind of a nut.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

J. Skelly

the interior trim parts would probably be the most difficult to find, but I also agree with what the others have said
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

TJ Hopland

I have had a different than original style new production shaft on mine for a few years now and don't recall noticing anything about the flange bolt holes.  If they are bigger its doesn't seem to be hurting anything so far.

I have had front bearings on these cars that were so bad there were inches of play in the tire if you jacked it up off the ground and the only slight hint of a problem was eventually the brakes start to drag and heat up the rotor so you get a pretty strong pull when you use the brakes.  Both times I was expecting a brake repair and saw the wheel flop as I was jacking it and went well there's your problem.    No idea how there wasn't noise and vibration but there wasn't.   

I have had the CV's make a grinding noise but if you ignore that for a while like you did the grease splattered all over the place they eventually they get quiet again as long as you are going straight and steady.   They get pretty loud when turning but you can drown that out if you keep your speed up in the turns so the tires screech.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillacmike68

Climate Control parts.

Not the compressor, condenser, SSV / POA, etc, but the Cadillac specific Climate Control parts such as the dash control, power servo, master Switch (if 1970 still used this), time delay relay, vacuum doors, manifold vacuum, etc. You can make the colored vacuum lines, so those are not critical.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

fishnjim

Might as well predict the future while at it...

Anderson

Scot,
I feel like I should pay you a retainer to stockpile stuff so I can call if needed ;-)

fishnjim: I've had some friends actually meet with some success.  I'm also usually a bit annoyed when they get things right, since one is a professional horror author...