News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Stripped Bolt Center Steering Arm '37 LaSalle How To Remove

Started by carlhungness, May 24, 2020, 04:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I don't have my parts book handy so can't give the part number, but there is a long 7/16" bolt that holds the Center Steering Arm on the suspension. It is tapped into the front cross-member. When I attempted to remove it, I immediately found it was just too tight. A 1/2" breaker bar wouldn't move it, so I put a pipe on the bar, and found that as I twisted, it just didn't feel good, and sure enough after about four turns, although it appeared as though the bolt was backing down, it simply turned, and no longer would back down through the tapped hole.
  I am now left with at least a partially stripped bolt and it appears as though my only option is to drill directly through the center of the bolt and try to keep drilling larger and larger until I get the bolt to drop through the hole.
   This means I may well come in contact with or close to the threads. Thus I am hoping I can replace the bolt with a bolt and nut. I'll try to Helicoil the threads but since this is such an important part of the suspension I'm sure I'll need a nut on top as well.
   Just thought I'd post this in the oft-chance someone may have encountered the same problem and may offer some advice.
   The photo shows the bolt and its hole looking downward.

Jim Stamper

Hi Carl;

I drill out the bolt, going larger each time. When one hole goes into the threads or is right next to them, I then, with chisel and light hammer make a slot (keyway) down through the threads. When the slot is made the remaining bolt threads can be gently teased out with an ice pick or pointy tool.  With the center gone and the slot, the threads will back out easy enough usually.

By small chisel I mean more like hand engraver sized to make a little neat slot. The threads can then be chased out with a tap and use thread lock, or drill a hole in the head and wire the new bolt in place or as you say, a longer bolt with a nut on it. Patience is.   Jim Stamper CLC#13470

Of course mounting the project in a vise with very good light makes for the neatest and easiest job of it. 

carlhungness

The bolt now just spins in the cross-member hole, it won't back down any further. I've tried to give it a rap with a punch to see if I can 'catch' another thread that might pull it through but no luck yet.
       The best I can see to do it use a spotting drill (1/8") for a center hole and then get progressively larger, but the fact the bolt is now spinning, and not backing through the hole tells me I may have to
virtually eliminate all the threads (on the bolt) before I can coax it to drop out.
     I'm as patient as can be so will get at it soon.
     Am just finishing up the grille shell emblems. Had the V-8 gold plated and now its on to applying the red paint. Then will have the 'wings' chromed and paint them. So it goes from tedious to even more so.