News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The Self Starter Archives

Started by Ohjai, May 24, 2020, 04:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohjai

I found the Archive of the Self Starter from the CLC website.

I have 3 questions.

1) The 2016 March issue brings up the Feb issue, I tried all the other months in 2016 and they seem correct. Where can I find the 2016 MAR issue?

2) How do you access the older issues prior to 2004?

3) Is there a way that I can save these to my computer?

Thanks

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

Art Director

Quote from: Ohjai on May 24, 2020, 04:28:23 PM

1) The 2016 March issue brings up the Feb issue, I tried all the other months in 2016 and they seem correct. Where can I find the 2016 MAR issue?

2) How do you access the older issues prior to 2004?

3) Is there a way that I can save these to my computer?

Here are the answers you seek:

1) Peter Gariepy, the webmaster, posts the issues each month based on the PDFs that I give him. I will contact Peter to get March 2016 fixed as soon as possible.

2) I became art director starting with the January 2004 issue, and was not given older issue electronic files by the previous editor. I had to start from scratch. Older issues would have to be scanned and uploaded, and that's a huge job. The CLC Museum & Research Center has every issue of The Self-Starter on file, and would be happy to help. Contact Paul Ayres at payres31email addresses not permitted. The annual membership directory released every November contains an index of articles back to 1990, and technical articles back to 1958.

3) Due to security issues related to CLC membership numbers, the CLC does not allow downloads of PDFs of The Self-Starter. You are more than welcome to print out the pages you need.

Hope that helps. Tim
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Ohjai

Thanks Tim, your explanation helps me understand how to find the information I am looking for.  A slightly different subject, is as a new member who is seeking out lots of information, it would sure help if the latest directory was mailed to all new members shortly after they join.  I have been trying to find suppliers, technical information, articles in the Self Starter etc, and have been able to use the on line version of the directory, but for me a paper copy is much better.  If there is additional cost in mailing out vital information for new members, then add that cost to their initial registration. In my case, the saving pennies may be costing the advertisers Dollars.

Thanks again.

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
2020 Ford Escape

Art Director

Quote from: Ohjai on May 29, 2020, 09:43:39 PM
Thanks Tim, your explanation helps me understand how to find the information I am looking for.  A slightly different subject, is as a new member who is seeking out lots of information, it would sure help if the latest directory was mailed to all new members shortly after they join.  I have been trying to find suppliers, technical information, articles in the Self Starter etc, and have been able to use the on line version of the directory, but for me a paper copy is much better.  If there is additional cost in mailing out vital information for new members, then add that cost to their initial registration. In my case, the saving pennies may be costing the advertisers Dollars.

Thanks again.

Jim

Hello Jim,

On the printed and online CLC membership application form, there is a box you may have overlooked that when checked, you receive a printed copy of the Directory. Please contact Mike and Nancy Book at the CLC Office, cadlasalleclub@aol.com, let them know you'd like a copy of the printed directory for 2020 and subsequent years, and they will mail you a printed 2020 directory and set you up for a November mailing each year of future directories. There is no additional cost.

The cost is prohibitive to print and mail to all our members. A little over a third of our total membership requests a copy of the printed directory, so the printing and postage savings really add up. The directory is 280 pages plus the cover.
Tim Coy
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Peter Gariepy 26457

The link is now correct.

Ohjai

I must be doing something wrong.  The March link for every year is now bringing up Feb for that year.

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
2020 Ford Escape

Art Director

Quote from: Ohjai on June 03, 2020, 02:27:13 PM
I must be doing something wrong.  The March link for every year is now bringing up Feb for that year.

Jim
I just tried the March 2016 link, and the March 2016 issue appears. Clear the cache from your web browser and try it again.
Tim Coy
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Ohjai

Thanks Tim, March 2016 now works for me.

However, March 2019, 2017, 2015, 2014 pull up the February issue for the corresponding year.  I cleared my cookies in Chrome and got the same results.  I tried them in Firefox that I have not used in awhile, but get the same results.
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
2020 Ford Escape

Peter Gariepy 26457

Quote from: Ohjai on June 08, 2020, 11:18:49 PM
Thanks Tim, March 2016 now works for me.

However, March 2019, 2017, 2015, 2014 pull up the February issue for the corresponding year.  I cleared my cookies in Chrome and got the same results.  I tried them in Firefox that I have not used in awhile, but get the same results.

Try Now. 

Ohjai

Thanks Peter.  Everything seems to work now in Firefox and Microsoft Edge, Chrome still has an issue, I have to do some searching to find the culprit, I have removed the stuff for ssonline and the Cadillac club, I will try to find the remaining things.  In my opinion, the web site is now fixed, just a bug remaining in my computer.

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird