News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Car clock

Started by 3jerry, May 24, 2020, 08:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3jerry

I’m own a 1961 Cadillac series 62 and wondering if there is a quick fix to get the clock to run again that a normal person can do or does it need to be shipped out to get repaired.
Thanks
Jerry

Cadman-iac

Jerry,
My first question would be have you removed it yet to test it out? And the second one is how confident are you in your abilities?
If you have power to it, does, or did it make any kind of sound when you hooked it up, and if so,  what did it sound like,  a buzzing, a click, or maybe a little growling noise?
There's a few problems that can be fixed by you and I that don't require a jewelers knowledge of clocks. Mainly the electrical drive mechanism.

But let's start slowly.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jerry,

If the electric coil is still good, and the hair spring is also good, a lot of times, the clock will stop simply because the Jewels (bearings) are contaminated with dust and grime from many miles of dusty roads.

a simple oiling of the moving shafts, using a toothpick dipped in very light weight oil can be used in place of an oil can, apply the oil VERY sparingly to the bits.

Put 12 Volts to the terminal and ground the frame, and just watch it without the case around it and observe for any movement.   Sometimes a little assistance to the wheel that the hair spring is attached to might help.

The same process got the clock going in my '72, but in my '60, the coil winding was broken, and that requires a repair, but as the wiring was so small, I needed a very small soldering iron to fix it.   But, that repair didn't last long.   Those tiny wire joints really need crimping.

Bruce. >:D   
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

gkhashem

Per a discussion on here you can take some emery cloth and gently clean contacts which can make it work.

On one car I did this and got this working on a bench. I figured I would test run it. I was not to smart since I had it hooked up to a small 12v battery.

I figured I would let it run before putting it back in, well stupid me did not have a fuse in the test line. Well you know what happened!

Started a small fire since it got stuck again after running fine for 30 minutes. So take some precaution.

Or spend $150 or so send it to The Clock Works in WI.
1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

Cruisin 66

This might be useful, helped me to get the clock in the 71 working again.

https://www.eldorado-seville.com/files/clockrepair.php

35-709

Know that a 59 year old, unreliable at best, electric automobile clock is going to need service.  Even if you get it running by lubing it or cleaning the points, these antique and relatively delicate (did I mention unreliable) mechanisms are going to need professional servicing or rebuilding.

George Hashem's advice is, IMO, spot on.   http://www.clockwks.com/The_Clock_Worx.html
You might also consider having The Clock Works (and a Google search can find you others) convert the clock to a much more reliable, longer lasting and far more accurate quartz movement unless you are after a 100 point car.   :)     
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2