News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

$10.00 Reward for Code I (eye) on 67 Fleetwood Eldorado Body Tag

Started by Matt CLC#18621, May 26, 2020, 12:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC#18621

$10.00 Reward for Providing Correct Answer for Letter Code "I" (eye) on the 67 Fleetwood Eldorado Body Tag.

Please send me a PM and I will send you $10.00 for the correct answer.

The two attached Body Tags appear to be identical with the following accessory letter codes.

(E)-Soft Ray Glass;
(N)-Power Vent Windows (Rear Quarters on Eldorado);
(Y)-Six-Way Power Front Seat;
(S)-Remote Control Trunk Lock;
(M)-Automatic Door Locks;
(K)-Automatic Climate Control;
(I)-Unidentified; and
(B)-Rear Window Defogger.

I've checked the 63 through 70 Data Books and accessory 'Letter Code' "I" (eye) does not appear to be indicated, stated, or addressed, hence no definition/description of the accessory code.

If the 'Letter Code "I" (eye) is not a letter, but rather the number 1 (one), then accessory code number 1 (one) appears to be for the AM-FM Stereo Radio (Includes Two Front and Two Rear Speakers and Power Antenna).

The following 'Letter Codes' have been duplicated in the 67 Data Book:
(B)   Contoured Bucket Front Seats with Console (Leather Upholstery Required)
(B)   Rear Window Defogger
(F)   Front Disc Brakes (Eldorado Only)
(F)   Filler Plate (Any idea?)
(J)   Twilight Sentinel (Automatic Headlamp Timer)
(J)   Rear Center Seat Belt
(L)   Level Control, Automatic (Standard on Fleetwood Eldorado)
(L)   License Frame (Single)
(Y)   Six-Way Power Front Seat (Strato Bench Seat Only)
(Y)   Four-Way Power Left Bucket Seat

The following 'Letter Codes' do not appear to have been used in the 67 Data Book:
(G)-CORRECTION "Code G=Controlled Differential (Not on Eldorado)"
(I)
(T)
(X)-CORRECTION "Code X=Windows, Power (Calais Only)"

I am assisting a fellow CLC member with an authentication (unpaid) for an expensive potential purchase of a 67 Fleetwood Eldorado with no luck.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
matt CLC #18621
i am 2nd

Matt CLC#18621

Yes, I have too much time on my hands with -19, hence the extra time to assist with queries and local Cadillac inspections for fellow CLC members.

It's a wonderful distraction from 30 plus years as a tax/finance professional working within the Fortune 50.

oh, and I fired up the 2001 ETC after 6 plus months of dormancy and it ran like a charm this fine Memorial Day!
Major issue is going from a 2019 Dodge Daytona Scat Pack 392 c.i./485 HP in the SRT track mode to the ETC's excessively sloppy power steering with the standard over-steer, it's dangerous lmffao!

Thanks for your assistance.

matt CLC #18621
i am 2nd

Cadillac Fleetwood

I don't think there has ever been a satisfactory explanation for the letter "I" on a body plate, at least for 1967 through 1970 cars. I have been trying to figure this out for 30-plus years, including trying to figure it out by gathering the body plates of as many of these cars as I encountered in the salvage yards.  My 1970 Fleetwood Brougham, with accessory codes EXVSMKIBN, has the same problem.

As a general rule, items such as the Trumpet Horn, Guide Matic, Twilight Sentinel, and Cruise Control (through 1970) were not encoded, because they were considered "chassis options".

Similarly, items such as license frames, license filler, door edge guards, floor mats, spare tire covers, trunk mats, etc., are considered "non-permanent" body options, and were not encoded, so one could cross these off the list.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

The Tassie Devil(le)

The I Code has been used as a variable over the years, and I wouldn't be surprised if the maker was reluctant to use thew Letter I when it could be possibly confused with the Number 1.

So far, this is what I have come up with.

For 1951`, the I was for E-Z-E Glass, and in 1952 E-Z-E Eye Glass changed to E.

Then in 1953, I became Wire Wheels.

in 1955 I became Sabre Wheels and '56 became Sabre Wheels - Chrome, then Sabre Wheels - Gold in 1957.

1958  Chrome Sabre spoke wheels (Std. Eldorado)

In 1970, I showed up again as Rim Blow Horn

In 1972  I became Remote right outside mirror

In 1973, I became Trunk Mat

In 1974, I became Trunk Mat - Rubber

In 1975, through to 1978,  I came back to Trunk Mat

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Matt CLC#18621

Quote from: Matt CLC#18621 on May 26, 2020, 12:43:50 AM

The following 'Letter Codes' do not appear to have been used in the 67 Data Book:
(G)-CORRECTION "Code G=Controlled Differential (Not on Eldorado)"
(I)
(T)
(X)-CORRECTION "Code X=Windows, Power (Calais Only)"

Regards,
matt CLC #18621
i am 2nd

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

One observation - I don't know whether it holds any significance or not but in the both cases, including the code sequence submitted by Charles Fares, the "I" or "1" appears directly after "K".

Now in the 53-56 cars there were two versions of air conditioning designated "K" or "K2" depending on whether the car had shelf outlets or roof outlets with clear tube ducts.

Therefore I wonder whether the presence of "I" or "1" after "K" signifies some small variant in the air conditioning system...  ???
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Matt CLC#18621

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on May 26, 2020, 08:41:28 AM
One observation - I don't know whether it holds any significance or not but in the both cases, including the code sequence submitted by Charles Fares, the "I" or "1" appears directly after "K".

Yes,
Every 67 Fleetwood Eldorado body tag that I have reviewed, and that has contained multiple accessory letter codes, including the accessory letter code "K" - Automatic Climate Control, the accessory letter code "I" (eye) has always appeared after the accessory letter code "K."

I believe someone published that ~ 97% of 67 Fleetwood Eldorado's were equipped with "K" - Automatic Climate Control.

Best regards and thank you for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

matt CLC# 18621
i am 2nd

Quote from: Matt CLC#18621 on May 26, 2020, 11:16:52 AM

Every 67 Fleetwood Eldorado body tag that I have reviewed, and that has contained multiple accessory letter codes, including the accessory letter code "K" - Automatic Climate Control, the accessory letter code "I" (eye) has always appeared after the accessory letter code "K."

The only problem with that theory is that Charles reports the "I" or "1" present on a Fleetwood Brougham also.

Again, just a hypothesis that it may signify two different A/C systems - perhaps one for high altitude, different carburetors or some other optional item that affected the type of A/C system installed - that is, if indeed the I/1 is related to the A/C.

R Pope

The "I" after "K" (alphabet wise) is not a lead as the option codes are not in any kind of alphabet sequence.

I can't help but think given the history of "I" changing through the years it was some kind of "new" option that was just introduced or did not have a letter assigned at that time? In the history of the "I" above, were these the first years that option was offered?

Other thought is that "I" was a placeholder for a whole host of options and that to keep it simple they just put an "I" and the line had to read the build sheet for the correct Sabre wheel type or mat type. I could imagine 26 letters getting used up pretty quickly with a Cadillac.

fishnjim

One of the regions made a listing of all the codes, by year.   I posted a link a year or so back.   I don't know if this one is on there or not but don't reinvent the wheel, if unnecessary.

Another way to go about this, is request the build sheet from GM Heritage Center.   Pay the $50, give them the VIN, and they send you a copy and it'll have all the options and codes on it.   So you can cross check/compare.   Many have incorrectly identified, so a cross check can't hurt.   Some guy's job was to punch out those metal tags, so he'd be a good one to ask.

In my mind, it really makes no difference to the car.   Just to the tag reading gurus who are kind of like mystics, Carnac the magnificent style.   Unless, you're trying to save $40?

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: Matt CLC#18621 on May 26, 2020, 12:43:50 AM

If the 'Letter Code "I" (eye) is not a letter, but rather the number 1 (one), then accessory code number 1 (one) appears to be for the AM-FM Stereo Radio (Includes Two Front and Two Rear Speakers and Power Antenna).

I always thought this was the correct answer:

(1) AM-FM Stereo Radio ($288)
(Includes Two Front and Two Rear Speakers and Power Antenna)

Maybe the assembly line didn't want to add a "1" to the factory options line, so the just used the "I" instead as it looked like a 1, no sense retooling the punching of the plate, used for years.  Sometime through the years  a "1" became an option and someone said..."Just use the I, it looks like a one"  :)

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Matt CLC#18621

(1)   RADIO, AM-FM STEREO (Not on "75")
(2)   RADIO, AM-FM
(3)   RADIO, AM
(4)   RADIO, AM REAR CONTROL ("75" Only)
(5)   Stereo Tape System (Includes Two Front and Two Rear Speakers; Radio Required)

Regards,

matt CLC #18621
i am 2nd

Matt CLC#18621

Please Share your 67 Fleetwood Eldorado's Build Sheet-Thank You Very Much!!
Capital idea!!!

Could someone with a 67 Fleetwood Eldorado please share their 67 Fleetwood Eldorado's build sheet?

thank you very much.
matt CLC#18621
i am 2nd
(NB: I no longer own my 67 Fleetwood Eldorado.)

Quote from: fishnjim on May 26, 2020, 05:16:58 PM
One of the regions made a listing of all the codes, by year.   I posted a link a year or so back.   I don't know if this one is on there or not but don't reinvent the wheel, if unnecessary.

Another way to go about this, is request the build sheet from GM Heritage Center.   Pay the $50, give them the VIN, and they send you a copy and it'll have all the options and codes on it.   So you can cross check/compare.   Many have incorrectly identified, so a cross check can't hurt.   Some guy's job was to punch out those metal tags, so he'd be a good one to ask.

In my mind, it really makes no difference to the car.   Just to the tag reading gurus who are kind of like mystics, Carnac the magnificent style.   Unless, you're trying to save $40?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
Here's data plate I got in a self serve yards years ago. You notice that it has NO I. I already sent my guess to Matt some days ago as he asked. I  have a # of data plates. It a real shame that 68 & 69 cars didn't have any codes on their plates. It eliminates lots of plates from the comparison pool. But... I think there's enough to draw a conclusion. I'm eager for Matt to post my guess.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

All I want to know is whether there are any tags with "I" or "1" that do not contain the code "K" so the air conditioning theory could be eliminated.

67_Eldo

My '67 Eldo has the "K" but no "1" or "I" and it has the full stereo setup as well as air conditioning. It is a California car.

Could "I" indicate an unusual "delete"? For example, it was possible to delete auto-leveling. How was that indicated (if it was indicated at all)?

D.Yaros

While I have no answers, I would note, and am surprised no one else has, that on the first body tag in the original post one finds the numeral "1" used.  It is different from the "l" following the K appearing on that tag.

I would find it more than highly unlikely that either GM or Cadillac would use two different styles of number one on any body tag?
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Matt CLC#18621

Someone with a 67 Fleetwood Brougham body tag told me the I stands for am/fm radio.
I believe the number 1 through 5 is for the different radio options.

Regards,
matt CLC #18621
i am 2nd

Cadillac Fleetwood

Quote from: Matt CLC#18621 on June 03, 2020, 10:59:34 PM
Someone with a 67 Fleetwood Brougham body tag told me the I stands for am/fm radio.
I believe the number 1 through 5 is for the different radio options.

Regards,
matt CLC #18621
i am 2nd
No.  Not on the body plates.  On the WARRANTY PLATES, the radios were encoded numerically, a through 5.  1967 and 1968 used a strip of metal pasted to the rear cover of the warranty booklet with Addressograph type, which then became a metal plate with clear Dymo label-maker tape in reverse, with blue GM logos. Late 1968 and all 1969 and 1970 used a plastic warranty card with raised letters, which was run through a charge-a-plate, like credit cards were back in the old days.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

D.Smith

I'll take that $10 reward.

You're looking in the wrong place for that code.     It's not in the data books, it's a sales code for an option group.
It's on the window stickers.

Here are three examples of 1967 window stickers.  2 with code 1 for the stereo, one with code 2 for just AM-FM.

Code 1 is for option group one with a STEREO RADIO (AM-FM)

Code 2 is for option group two with a RADIO (AM-FM)

So its not a radio code, but indicates an option group.
And because it's a sales thing, it is indicated on the window sticker with the group number next to the radio to indicated which group the car has. 

I'll take Paypal or cash   :)