News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Interior Opinions Wanted 1959 Cadillac 60 Special

Started by aaron heineman, May 26, 2020, 08:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron heineman

Hello All,
Well after almost 10 years I am restoring the 1959 Cadillac 60 Special given to me from my Godmother! I feel poorly that has sat so long but am excited to get the 60 special closer to her former glory.

The existing interior is TRIM 74 Fawn Broad Cloth and  PAINT 44 Beaumont Beige with Brown Carpet and Dash. I intend to keep the interior and exterior in the original colors but am considering replacing the cloth with leather. I saw that leather was a factory option in fawn and was used in the limousines so I thought that would be cool. The existing seat pattern is in small rectangles with buttons between them. The upholsterer I spoke with said that he could recreate the existing pattern with the leather and buttons. When I was reading through the dealership vehicle options catalogue GM specifically noted that if leather was chosen that it could only come in the two inch wide strips. So if it were you restoration would you make the conversion from cloth to leather? Would you use the existing rectangle pattern with buttons? Would you convert the rectangles to the two inch wide strips? Thought it would be fun to get feedback before I call SMS in Oregon.
All the Best
Aaron

jagbuxx #12944

I always tend to prefer to keep it original but it is your car. If you change to leather I would suggest to at least keep it in the leather trim style. Do a search so you can see the difference in the styles.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

David Greenburg

Sounds like a nice car.  I had a ‘59 60S for many years, and am well acquainted with most aspects of the car, including the interiors.  The leather interior option was actually cloth and leather; the seating surfaces were cloth, with leather “bolsters” around the edges.  I do not believe there was a “full leather” interior option. The “button and biscuit” pattern you refer to was used regardless of whether the car had the broadcloth or cloth and leather interior. Of course you can do the interior however you want, and a full leather interior done in that pattern would certainly look cool. I had the front seat redone on my car a few years after I got it, and later looked into having the whole interior redone.  Be forewarned that it ain’t cheap!  Apparently doing the leather bolsters is very time con$uming. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Chuck Patton

Hello Aaron

As an Appraiser I love family cars.

The 1959 6029M was a special car with only 12,250 manufactured and a Collectability Level of C+. According to my database there were not many factory production 6029M with your Paint/Trim combination. Since you are in Oregon I would recommend that you contact Doug at SMS to obtain the correct interior color and fabric. This will maintain the value AND make your family happy to view the car like it was when your Godmother owned it.

Planning and patience are the keys to happy motoring.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Leather was only available by Special Order in closed body styles until 1960 Otherwise neither the Series 75 nor Sixty Special standard interior selections were offered in full leather. 

I would therefore recommend retaining the original upholstery design which was predominately cloth with leather bolsters which will also enhance the car's value and desirability compared to being altered.   

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute