News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Bad color combinations

Started by chrisntam, May 27, 2020, 07:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

This one is for sale on eBay, San Mateo Red, white interior, black top.  For me, it's not overly appealing.  Maybe it's the blackwall tires, though if you look close, they are redwalls.

Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Cadillac-DeVille/143612153398?hash=item216ff38e36%3Ag%3AAsAAAOSwY8hexsj1&LH_ItemCondition=3000%7C2500
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

D.Smith

San Mateo is a great color for 1970. 

At least the body tag shows it was born San Mateo and not a resale red respray. 

Top was white though when new.

James Landi

To my taste, it's appealing--- looks like it's been well maintained, and seemingly  seller does not omit issues-- either in some pictures that show flaws and wear-- and a cracked windshield, and a non-functioning a/c.  I certainly feel the color is attractive-- not sure about the red-rim tires, but overall, very nice, indeed , yet pricey, (and is that 127K miles?)James

James Landi

Dave, I think the back soft top somewhat "understates" the car, and looks quite elegant.  I would not have thought so, but having seen it on this car, it is attractive James

Cadillac Fleetwood

One would think that a seller would address and correct such an obvious detraction as the large crack across the RH top of the windshield.

The body plate is particularly instructive on the relatively heavy production of convertibles early in the model year.  This car was built the fourth week of September, 1969, and already, over 2,300 of the 15,000-plus convertibles have been built.  Every dealer needed a convertible on the showroom for "window dressing" when the new models debuted, and what better way to accomplish that, but with a San Mateo Red car.

Although cropped from the photos, this car has the standard two-way power seat adjuster, rather than the optional six-way, as is borne out by the absence of code Y on the body plate.  And there's that infernal "I" (eye) on the body plate, that has never been resolved.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

D.Smith

A black top is certainly easier to keep clean.

But with the white interior I can see why they ordered a white top.

That car needs the correct white walls on it like Scotts car below.

chrisntam

Quote from: Cadillac Fleetwood on May 27, 2020, 08:26:57 PM

The body plate is particularly instructive on the relatively heavy production of convertibles early in the model year.  This car was built the fourth week of September, 1969, and already, over 2,300 of the 15,000-plus convertibles have been built. 

Charles Fares

I meant to say the current color combo is "not" overly appealing...

Mine was built the first week of January '70, #7583.  They were cranking them out.  No "I" on my data plate.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

One would think that a seller would address and correct such an obvious detraction as the large crack across the RH top of the windshield.    Charles Fares 
A good bargaining point, as the glass probably needs replacing with all the marks that would have been gained when driving over the years.

Surprising how one thought their windscreen was good, until they get a replacement, and boy, the world looks clearer.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

James Landi

Rather expertly produced photographs ...Interests me that the photographs are taken against a very appropriate background-- both color and "flatness" of this anonymous building-- its color and setting -- both help to "feature" the car, and provides a great color background for the car's colors to "pop" when initially viewed, along with the reported low mileage and the expert paint work, attractively "marketed."   Happy day, James

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

And there's that infernal "I" (eye) on the body plate, that has never been resolved.

Have you ever seen the "I" or "1" code on a non-air car?
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

D.Smith

K is air conditioning.

I was at first thinking maybe the I was a 1 and it indicated an option group 1 car.   
But option group 1 includes a 6-way power seat and I believe you said this one has a 2-way power seat

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: D.Smith on May 28, 2020, 11:02:00 AM
K is air conditioning.

I was at first thinking maybe the I was a 1 and it indicated an option group 1 car.   
But option group 1 includes a 6-way power seat and I believe you said this one has a 2-way power seat

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=160354.0
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

colorado4x4

In my perfect world dream... I would buy every San Mateo Red 1970 Deville Convertible I could find.  Its a color that just stands out from the crowd !    (would also find a blue one and a white one to be patriotic)
Rocky Mountain Region Membership Chair & Treasurer
1970 DeVille Convertible Chateau Mauve Firemist
1970 DeVille Convertible Lanai Green Metallic

jagbuxx #12944

Quote from: chrisntam on May 27, 2020, 09:14:02 PM
I meant to say the current color combo is "not" overly appealing...

Mine was built the first week of January '70, #7583.  They were cranking them out.  No "I" on my data plate.
Mine was built near the end, first week of June. My plate shows an “N”, but no evidence of shoulder belts that I can see....
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

cadillacmike68

A white top would definitely look better. It's too dark overall with a black top.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike