News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1979 SDV: Toe In adjustment

Started by wbdeford, May 30, 2020, 10:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbdeford

I have too much toe in (about 1/4"), but before adjusting, I am wondering how much toe is added/subtracted per thread on the adjusting sleeves...thanks!
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

79 Eldorado

William,
Nobody else answered so I wanted to try to help. When you turn the sleeve on one side one full turn you get 2 thread pitch of change; equal contribution from the inner and outer tie rod ends. Assuming both sides had the same amount of toe and you are adjusting both obviously 4x thread pitch. If you don't know the thread pitch take a piece of paper and lay it on the threads. Rub it with the side of an old wooden pencil. Do it over as much distance as you can to get a good measurement. Now take the paper and count the gaps; so from peak one to peak 2 is one gap. Stop on the last peak you can clearly see. Now measure the distance as accurately as you can between the peaks you counted. Divide that distance by the number you counted and you will have the thread pitch. Multiple by two and that will be the amount you change by a full rotation on one side.

I never really looked at why the toe is taken as a distance as opposed to an angle but I found a good diagram which shows they are measuring in back of the pivot point compared to the front of the pivot point (front edge and back edge of the rim). So the important thing about that is when you change the sleeve the point in front of the pivot is moving and in back of the pivot is moving in the opposite direction.

I don't like posting an image from the web but here's a link showing the way it's measured front/back of the rim:
https://www.ictworkshopsolutions.com/2011/06/wheel-alignment-3/

Scott

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 79 Eldorado on May 31, 2020, 11:16:33 AM
I never really looked at why the toe is taken as a distance as opposed to an angle ........ Scott 
I think it harks back to the old days when nobody had the intricate wheel alignment gear, and it was simple to use a piece of string or a length of wood.

The measurement in length is really handy for performing the initial setup, in order to get the vehicle to a shop with the correct equipment.

These days, alignment is so technical that angles are used.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

79 Eldorado

Thanks Bruce. That seems like a good explanation.

Scott