News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Cad Neutral Safety Switch 560 adjustment

Started by MidModCad, May 30, 2020, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidModCad

So my old #560 neutral safety switch was utterly ravaged, lunched, trashed.  Tab broken off, car started in every gear, no backup lights, no vaccum e-brake release.  I picked up a rebuilt unit with a warranty from Cadillac King and installed, but the only function that's working are the backup lights.  I'm following the manual's adjustment procedure, but the car continues to start in every gear no matter where the switch is positioned in its range.  I don't hear any vacuum hiss, so maybe the e-brake is non-op for another reason.  Am I missing something here?  Any ideas much appreciated.

Cadman-iac

It sounds like the tab that is supposed to fit down inside the slot on the top of your column is not engaging the shift tube. This would cause the symptoms you are having. 
Can you inspect the shift tube to see if it is centered in the column housing and that it moves when you shift the lever.
Also check the depth of the shift tube between the outer diameter of the column and the top of the shift tube slot, then compare it with how far the tab sticks out on your neutral safety switch. If the tab is too short,  that's the problem. It's not being moved when you shift.

Hope this helps and good luck. Let us
know what you find, or have more questions.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

MidModCad

These are great ideas, Rick.  Will give it a whack tomorrow.  The tab on my old switch was broken off, so maybe a piece is lodged in the column just high enough to keep the new tab from engaging.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have known for people to accidentally break them off as they are trying to fit the switch.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Gomez

Are you sure no one had rigged the wiring up to the NSS due to issues with it before? Outside from the eBrake vacuum release option the switch lever should open the path after the “P” and “N” to start the engine as well as to make contact at the “R” for the reverse lights.

Have you try rotating the switch manually to verify when it is position on all gears selections? 

Again as Rick and Bruce mention if the lever does moves with the shifter column.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Cadillac Fleetwood

If you are obtaining reverse light operation in R (and not in any other range), then it appears that the switch pin is moving, as it is supposed to.  As someone here suggested, your wiring may have been modified to bypass your original defective switch. A quick way to test this is to disconnect the wiring from the NSS and try starting the car. If the car cranks/starts without the switch, then you know the wiring has been modified "upstream", and the starter will continue to operate regardless of the NSS. You also want to check for the presence of vacuum at the hoses to the NSS. One of them is the vacuum source in the engine compartment, the other goes to the vacuum release on the brake. The NSS serves the function of "connecting" the two, allowing vacuum, which is always present, to be applied to the parking brake in D, L, or R.  If you find that your present NSS is defective and need a replacement, I have an excellent used one; send me a message.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

MidModCad

J. and Charles, your suspicions were right on. Found a jump wire patched in upstream from the NSS. A little poking around under hood revealed that the vac line was unplugged while brake work was performed. Plugged it back into the firewall block and all three functions now working perfectly.  Thanks Charles for your replacement switch offer.  So far, this one's a winner.  As for my back after a long stretch under the dash... not so much.  Appreciate the feedback, guys.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Congratulations on finding the "modifications" and correcting them.

The ability to start in any gear is a real safety issue.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon