News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Series 62 coupe

Started by Kem, June 03, 2020, 09:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kem

I've run out of ideas to cure a persistent tendency for the car to wander and need steering corrections. I have improved it lots by fitting a new 3 piece linkage and control arm bushes. Everything else seems tight and the bushes also seem OK. The steering box has been adjusted. Could it be the tyres? They are Coker whitewall and it may just be tramlining. The rear end also seems OK with no appreciable movement anywhere.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Sounds like an alignment issue.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

35-709

Try a little positive caster --- especially if those tires are radials. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Dan LeBlanc

Here is what my 40+ year veteran adjusted my former 61 Fleetwood too - he said this setup would be good with either bias or radials.  I ran it with both - with radials it handled like it was on rails and on bias ply, tramlining was greatly reduced coupled with 32psi in the tires:

Camber:
LH 0.07 degrees     RH -0.02 degrees

Caster:
LH 0.95 degrees     RH 1.08 degrees

Toe-in:  5/64"
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

jagbuxx #12944

Maybe check the “rag” joint, the coupler. I replaced mine when car was first restored then about 15 years later after it was soaked by continued steering fluid leaking onto it. It’s worth checking
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

The Tassie Devil(le)

You will definitely need to alter the wheel alignment from factory specs, as radials require a lot less toe-in than cross plies.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Kem

Thanks gents, that sounds like good advice and I will get the alignment and toe in sorted properly.

Andrew Trout

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on June 03, 2020, 10:07:17 AM
Here is what my 40+ year veteran adjusted my former 61 Fleetwood too - he said this setup would be good with either bias or radials.  I ran it with both - with radials it handled like it was on rails and on bias ply, tramlining was greatly reduced coupled with 32psi in the tires:

Camber:
LH 0.07 degrees     RH -0.02 degrees

Caster:
LH 0.95 degrees     RH 1.08 degrees

Toe-in:  5/64"

Is the difference between LH and RH due to the A/C?
Rochester, NY
1961 Convertible

Dan LeBlanc

It accounts for road crowning.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

The Tassie Devil(le)

Here in Australia, which is a RHD country, I always reverse the factory specifications for wheel alignment.

And it is worse when being in a driver-only car, and driving a LHD vehicle, the suspension on the left side needs a slight tweeking, as the added weight of the driver and going around right corners, the car really sags to the left.

The good thing about the Eldorado with FWD, is that the Left Torsion Bar is easily adjustable to compensate.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Kem

Would movement in the "rag" joint that Frank mentioned be an issue? The steering column moves a little before the input to the steering box moves. There is a sliding motion in the coupler before a peg engages with a "U" shaped collar directly attached to the box input.  The rubber/fibre part looks OK.

Cadman-iac

Kem,
The U shaped notches are used as a failsafe basically for when the rivits or bolts, (both were used), egg out the holes they go through in the rubber.  They are normally supposed to be a tight fit, and the U notch is not actually contacted by the pins when everything is in good shape.
If you have some slipping of the rubber then you should consider replacing it.
  Hope this helps some.

Rick

PS: Any play in your steering between the steering wheel and the gearbox will make it wander some. Ideally you don't want any at all.
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Kem

Thanks Rick, that does seem to be the problem.