News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

390 drain plug torque specs

Started by David Greenburg, June 03, 2020, 07:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I have usually done drain plugs by feel, but getting ready for spring oil changes on my cars, I noticed that the torque spec for the ‘61 was increased to 30-50 ft lbs, which is substantially greater that the 25-30 spec’d for ‘60. I’m wondering if perhaps there were complaints of leaks with the earlier engines, and GM figured out it was okay to make them tighter. Although if that were the case, you’d think it would have been addressed in The Serviceman.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Jon S

I would think 50 foot pounds would strip the threads on the oil pan.  I have never seen any mechanic at a dealership or service center ever use a torque wrench on a oil drain plug.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Jon S on June 03, 2020, 07:58:48 PM
I would think 50 foot pounds would strip the threads on the oil pan.  I have never seen any mechanic at a dealership or service center ever use a torque wrench on a oil drain plug.
In the fifties, the oil plus is located in a way a torque wrench cannot be used.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David Greenburg

50 did seem way too tight.  I went up to about 36 and stopped.  On the ‘61, there is room to get a TW on it, but I think as Roger notes, the ‘60 and earlier design doesn’t leave enough space.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

bcroe

I figure the more times the oil is changed, the less torque it takes to wear it out. 
Just did the 61st oil change on the H...., I now use some of that blue gasket maker
to keep it sealed without too much torque.  Bruce Roe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Another reason why oversize plugs are available.   Nothing worse than a heavy-handed service attendant.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Maybe it should be (in) inch pounds, many things are on the early 40's cars?  Just a thought.

Jim
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63

Clewisiii

I made that mistake once. Not paying attention and I tightened down a cast valve cover using foot pounds instead of inch pounds.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Jim Govoni CLC 20546 on June 09, 2020, 12:31:57 PM
Maybe it should be (in) inch pounds, many things are on the early 40's cars?  Just a thought.

Jim

That would be 4.16 Ft-LBS.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jim Govoni CLC 20546

Thanks Dan, that sounds about right!
1953 Series 62 
1966 Fleetwood 
1969 deVille Convert.
1941 Series 63