News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959/1960 Exhaust flex pipe source

Started by kid59, June 04, 2020, 08:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid59

Has anyone found a source for the flex pipe used between the muffler and header?

Nickson Exhaust used to make a 2.25" pipe (part number 17014) that allowed it to slide over the pipe. They have now changed the tooling on this pipe to have 5 turns per inch vs the 4 turns per inch of the older version. They did however keep the same part number. (See the attached photo of the new vs the old installed pipe.)

Walker's 2.25" flex pipe (part number 46974) does have 4 turns per inch but will not make the bend either. (see the attached photos.)

Does anyone have another supplier? Thanks!

David Greenburg

MasterMind has them, or at least he did a couple of years ago.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

kid59

Thanks but Mike's pipe (part number 59ZB23-001) doesn't work either-see photo. And in case there is any question about an incorrect bend, also attached is a photo of an original pipe next to one from Classic Exhaust.

76eldo

I was going to buy some flexible pipe a slip it over the head pipes for my 60 Seville but I sold the car and never got to it.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jon S

Realize the flex pipe may look stock but it has no insulation inside to reduce engine compartment heat.  The original flexplate had an asbestos lining.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Bob Kielar

I installed flex pipe on my 55 Fleetwood so I would not lose points being judged at Grand Nationals. I did not see any difference in sound or heat difference. The only way I found to make the bends was to slit the ribs in the pipe with a cutting wheel on a die grinder and pound them on with a 2x4 and hammer. Attached is a picture on how I installed the flex pipe.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

kid59

Thanks Bob. We have found two more sources for the flex pipe to try-AP Exhaust and Able Metal Hose in IL. If neither of these works, we will try your method.

Bob