News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 1967 kickdown switch differences

Started by dsrour, June 04, 2020, 11:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsrour

Thought I would provide my experience converting 66 Eldorado  to 67 quadrajet setup.
Overall pretty straight forward.
The one hang up is kickdown/stator switch.
You will need a 67 switch which are difficult to find and ~$150 for used one.
What I did not realize and have not seen discussed, is the 67 uses a different signal to activate stator at idle.

>The 66 uses brake light signal whereas the 67 uses throttle at idle.
>The 66 switch also is hot in key off
>If you use the 66 wiring as is, with a 67 switch the stator will be activated with key off. Your battery will run down and not good for solenoid
>Changing switch power  to ignition on source, will result in backfeeding of ign on circuits when brake is pedal pressed  with key off
(There is a diode in the brake light wiring of 66, but this is to prevent brake light coming on at mid throttle activation of stator)
What I did:
>remove brake light wire (white) at switch and
>change 12v feed to switched source.
The stator will now work as designed in 67- Stator high angle at idle.
Hope this makes sense

bcroe

Thanks, that is good info to know.  Those trans solenoids are definitely NOT
intended for continuous operation. 

Another possible solution is to use a 68 up 2 wire kick down switch and an
electronic controller for the stator, all powered from a 5A fused, ignition
powered circuit.  Bruce Roe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

David,
Just curious.  How does the switch "know" that the car is at idle as opposed to just coasting down a highway hill?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

dsrour

The 67 switch stator terminal is hot at idle thus whenever throttle is at idle the stator will be at high angle. As soon as off idle the solenoid is deactivated until get to second turn on point. It doesn't know if you're stopped or coasting.
I don't notice any difference in driveability  with this setup vs brake light activation. I think the stator blade angle change must be quick.
Another way to solve problem is to modify 67 switch by filing down the part of switch that closes contact at idle, if you don't mind opening switch.
Then it will work w/ brake light

David,
Just asking.  When I went to a 67 Carb, intake and kick down switch on my 66 I made no other modifications and it worked correctly,  I just checked and the 67 switch I still have and there is no continuity on the stator switch until about mid throttle.  All idle stator operation was through the brake light switch with a diode in the circuit to prevent feedback and kick down when the brakes were applied.  Do you still have the diode in the circuit of your 66?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

dsrour

Hey Greg
The 67 switches I have are all ON stator circuit at idle. The diode is to prevent brake lights from going on at mid throttle stator activation according to 66 manual.
At first I thought my 67 switch was defective, but disassembled and there is indeed a spike like pawl that closes stator circuit at idle.
I then looked at a 67 wiring diagram and there is no brake light feed and switch hot  ign on only.
Maybe someone w/ a 67 could check this
thanks, dave

dsrour

Thanks Bruce for your input, I have seen your schematic and algorithm for stator activation using electronics.  Very Clever!
I may go this root at some point.
Dave

dsrour

Pictures
switch spindle: arrows show pawl that closes stator switch at idle. You can trim this down a bit so doesn't make contact and use w/ brakelight activation.

67 schematic: arrow shows the second white wire on stator terminal that terminates around ignition points but doesnt look like its hooked up to anything. This would go to brake light switch on 66, you can see diode in circuit that prevent backfeeding brake light.
I'm wondering if this means that they didn't change harness on 67 or there was a design change in production?

Cadman-iac

Now I thought that having the brake lights come on when you hit the partial throttle switch activation was to let everyone behind you know that you had just kicked in the afterburner, as you briskly accelerate away, your brake lights aglow through the smoke as if they were aflame, thrusting the car forward in a sudden burst of energy!

After all, wasn't that what the designers had in mind when they were designing these rockets on wheels?

At least that's my story and I'm stickin' with it! LOL!!
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

Chuck Swanson

What is the benefit of going to a '67 carb?  Interesting details on how you got it to work, but seems easier to just rebuild a '66 carb, no?.  I have on 4 Carters on 4 of my 65-66 cars and have no problems, using kickdowns that came with the cars.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Chuck,
Starting off with the numbers, a Carter AFB has a 625 CFM rating and the early Quadrajets are around 750 CFM.  The QJ has the smaller primaries so light throttle results in better fuel economy. Because of the QJ circuitry full range performance was better.
The QJ as used in 1967 absolutely woke up the 429.  I know it did with mine.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

67_Eldo

One fun aspect of using Bruce Roe's switch-pitch controller (at low speed) and a mechanical switch (for 70%+ throttle kick-down action) is that Bruce's controller is, by default, set to switch from high stall to low stall once 10 seconds have elapsed since the last time the brake lights were activated.

There is a slight hill leading up to an intersection near my house. When the light is red, I brake to a stop and then let off the brake pedal. The Eldorado won't roll backward because there's just enough "hill holding" going on to keep the car in place. But if I don't get the green within 10 seconds, the controller shifts the THM 425 into low stall and the Eldorado starts moving forward.

Essentially the car is saying, "Hey! I've waited long enough. Let's get going!" :-)

bcroe

Quote from: 67_Eldo on June 08, 2020, 11:59:54 AM
One fun aspect of using Bruce Roe's switch-pitch controller (at low speed) and a mechanical switch (for 70%+ throttle kick-down action) is that Bruce's controller is, by default, set to switch from high stall to low stall once 10 seconds have elapsed since the last time the brake lights were activated.

There is a slight hill leading up to an intersection near my house. When the light is red, I brake to a stop and then let off the brake pedal. The Eldorado won't roll backward because there's just enough "hill holding" going on to keep the car in place. But if I don't get the green within 10 seconds, the controller shifts the THM 425 into low stall and the Eldorado starts moving forward.

Essentially the car is saying, "Hey! I've waited long enough. Let's get going!"

Yes that has happened to me.  The assumption is you keep your foot on the brake at
an intersection stop.  But the switch pitch converter is so tight it improves mileage,
but it also wants to creep at a stop until you get it in high stall.  That delay I set to
14 sec, but could be set to 10.  Bruce Roe

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on June 08, 2020, 10:38:27 AM
Chuck,
Starting off with the numbers, a Carter AFB has a 625 CFM rating and the early Quadrajets are around 750 CFM.  The QJ has the smaller primaries so light throttle results in better fuel economy. Because of the QJ circuitry full range performance was better.
The QJ as used in 1967 absolutely woke up the 429.  I know it did with mine.
Greg Surfas

Ahh, good info.  Thanks!  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

TomB

I am a proud owner of a deville 67 with a diode on the kickdown switch. However it is not connected. Any suggestion where to connect it to?

thanks,

Tom