News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The New Cadillac Database - Update

Started by veesixteen, June 05, 2020, 10:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veesixteen

I just noticed today (June 5, 2020) that the “Cadillac Database” I created and compiled, starting in the early 80s and that went on-line 23 years ago (in May, 1997), has just been updated (May 5, 2020) thanks to the considerable time and effort expended by co-member and friend “JC” (Jean-Claude Franchitti) of New York).

“JC” volunteered to take over from me, in 2010-11, management of the Club’s “Database” that I donated to the CLCMRC in 1999, on the occasion of the CLC Grand National held that year  in Santa Clara, CA. There had come a point in my schedule when I could no longer devote the same amount of time and energy on what was, after all, just an "occasional hobby".

For the record, I became interested in Cadillac history and styling at the age of 16; I am now 81! For 65 years I have collected historical documents, artifacts and photos related to our favorite marque. The bulk of the material in "New Cadillac Database"© comes from that collection. However, so much more material and information has become available (in terms of both quantity and quality) since the advent of the Internet, that much of my information and many of my original images from the 90s are outdated or outmoded.

I would invite the many of you "in the know" (and who post here regularly) to contact "JC" and provide him with more and better photos and info to improve the resource even more! "JC" deserves our warmest thanks for taking on all of the more than 30 topics that comprise the "New Cadillac Database"©. I recommend you all take a look !
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Chris Cummings

I second the motion!

Yann, God bless you for all of your work and dedication over the course of years.  The service you have done to the hobby, to automotive historians, and to the idle reader is phenomenal.

Please, folks, if you can update any of the articles and rosters on the Database, you'll be doing a favor for all of us in the present, and for future generations.

History is perishable.

Chris Cummings

wrefakis

I always note that I took over the 59 roster from you!
you are the one that built the data base for sure a giant undertaking

veesixteen

Thanks Bill.

The "Cadillac Database", with all its imperfections, thousands of small, low-res images made 30 years ago with the first
early digital camera (Olympus D200!) and equally early  imaging techniques, is still THE place to go to find on one Web site, in a digital format, information (even quite basic) on every imaginable "Cadillac" topic, starting with the Cadillac crest!

I wish I was 30 years younger, with modern equipment, to "start over".

Thanks to "JC" Franchitti", the DB is being gradually modernized to facilitate navigation and improve picture quality. Please share with him your in-depth research into surviving 1959 Eldorado Biarritz models.

veesixteen

Quote from: arlet16 on June 06, 2020, 04:54:32 PM
I am a fan of tour website too. Good luck in future work

Thanks "arlet16" for your good wishes. Would the other Forum members who sent similar good wishes, yesterday (Jim, Steve, others?) please contact me by PM so that I might thank them in person.  Yann S.

35-709

Yann, those of us familiar with the incredible Cadillac Database are thanking YOU and deservedly so!  With thanks also to Mr. Franchitti for carrying on your great work.  Everytime I visit the database I am awed at the amount of work that you did to create such an encyclopedic source of Cadillac information.
Geoff N.     
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

veesixteen

There have been recent, positive exchanges in reference to my work on the "Cadillac Database"; the moment seems right to reiterate this post from another Cadillac enthusiast who, it seems, is not alone in honoring my reputation in the Club, of which - need I point out - I have been a member for almost 50 years!

QUOTE This is a brief follow-up to a recent posting by Yann [[circa 2002]]. I'm using a new posting because I think the issue raised deserves separate attention in the CLC.

The Cadillac-LaSalle Database, www.cadillacdatabase.org, is an extraordinary resource and it surely represents thousands of hours of effort and research. Yann is right that some members may not be aware of it; I have found that to be true for questions and information relating to sales literature and advertising.

My own interest is largely in the section on sales literature, but the photo sections are also very useful and informative. My collection has a few pieces that aren't listed in Yann's literature Database, but I have been amazed at how complete and accurate the Database is.

I have never met Yann, but am hoping he will be at Lake George [[to my lasting regret, I missed that meeting]]. He deserves deepest appreciation from all of us. (I know he has received well-deserved awards in the past.)  Thank you, Yann!

John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC # 26790
UNQUOTE

cadillacmike68

Nice to hear from Yann again. It's always fun going through the database.

Is the link in the 7th post the current one?

I looked at the Cadillacs in movies section and didn't see "Dirty Harry" (first in the series). There is a 1965 or 66 in the early part of #1. There are several Cadillacs in all of the Dirty Harry series. There are also a lot parked on the background in the films. Magnum Force (#2) had the mob boss in a series 75 but not a 1968. I think it was a 1973. It also had the pink ElDorado pimpmobile.  It's The Enforcer (#3) which features the 1968 Series 75, but not as the bad guy's car. It was the SF Mayor's car. That's the one with Tyne Daly as his partner.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

veesixteen

Thanks Mike. Good eyes!
I no longer am in charge of updates to the Database.
You may want to copy your message to "JC" Franchitti who is currently the person who goes all updates.
He's a busy man, so don't expect changes to appear on the website immediately. 

Highwayman68

1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

metacomp

All,

Mark Demyan is correct, the New Cadillac Database is at "www.newcadillacdatabase.org".

It is linked to correctly on the CLC website.

Please note that the Eldorado Brougham (EB) color and upholstery charts that were developed in collaboration with Ralph Messina are now posted on the site.

See 1957 and 1958 EB Color and Upholstery cards:

https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/Historical/Automobiles/Eldorado/EB5760#eb5758

and 1959 and 1960 EB Color and Upholstery cards:

https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/Historical/Automobiles/Eldorado/EB5760#eb5960

Thank you all for your help, interest, and feedback.

J.C.
Jean-Claude Franchitti, CLC #4398

Roger Zimmermann

As I don't know how I could report a case, I'm taking the opportunity to do it here.
This is an update about the Eldo Brougham #350. The car is still in the canton of Valais (Switzerland); the car was bought some years ago by Fredy Ursprung from Glis. The car is now repainted Bahama Blue; many mechanical issues were solved; I had the pleasure to overhaul the transmission.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

veesixteen

One more saved for posterity. Thanks Roger!
How many more are still "hiding" out there.
This is not the kind of car that ends up at the crusher!

metacomp

Roger,

Thank you for the update on 57 EB #350.

I sent you a PM for details.

In general, you can contact me for updates and contributions via mrcadillac@newcadillacdatabase.org.

We are working on the contribution feature (under https://newcadillacdatabase.org/login/ on the site) that will require folks to register to become contributors. You will then be able to send images and text for survivors' updates directly and the new content will be posted automatically once it passes the moderator review stage. We also have a separate process that automates historical topic contributions. Detailed instructions will be posted in the near future.

We are also working on a lot of new topics and related content. New survivors' categories will be added to the site soon.

I look forward to hearing back from you as per my PM.

Thanks and Regards,

J.C.
(212) 203-5004

metacomp

All,

Quick update on my previous reply to Mark.

All the domains "cadillacdatabase.*" now point to the newcadillacdatabase.org

This will help avoid any possible confusion in the future.

I will start a separate thread on The New Cadillac Database.

We are also on Facebook (@thecadillacdatabase) and twitter (@CadillacDB).

Thanks and Regards,

J.C.
(212) 203-5004

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: metacomp on June 10, 2020, 10:04:43 PM

I sent you a PM for details.

Jean-Claude, I will respond to your PM. Please note that the EB #350 is NOT my car; I have #230.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Peter Cornwell

Nice to see a picture of a car I once had on there here in the UK, a 1929/1930 Van den Plas (Belgium) bodied Cadillac V8 in the Dream Cars section.
Wish I had supplied a better background to the picture now! I sold the car to someone in the Czech Republic.
Thanks for all your work Yann.
Kind Regards
Peter
England
Peter
England
1941 6267D convertible
1952 6267X convertible

veesixteen

Thanks for your input.

Superb coachwork by VdP. The Anglo-Belgian company installed similar "landaulet" bodies on a Cadillac V-16 chassis and quite a few other V8s.

I photographed part of the "reconstruction" of the V16, on a trip to Tulsa in 1978 (or was it 1982?). At 81, my memory fails me! 

Peter Cornwell

I found this on Youtube which someone had filmed of my (then) car at a show in the UK. Shows the interior woodwork off very well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdaMxD80ZH4
Kind Regards
Peter
England
Peter
England
1941 6267D convertible
1952 6267X convertible

jdemerson

Quote from: Peter Cornwell on June 13, 2020, 10:19:23 AM
I found this on Youtube which someone had filmed of my (then) car at a show in the UK. Shows the interior woodwork off very well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdaMxD80ZH4
Kind Regards
Peter
England
Peter,
     That is a great video of a great car!  It shows off lots of details beautifully. I wonder if there is any way it could become a part of the CLC Database?
John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn