News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Enviro-Safe Refrigerants verses R12 Freon

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, June 07, 2020, 08:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello ,
    Has anybody ever switched from R 12 Freon to Enviro safe refrigerant ?  And if so how did it work out ?

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

cadillacmike68

Well,

R134a was SUPPOSED to be good, but then the EU got its head up its 4th point of contact and had it declared a polluter, so it is out of favor. But it works fine in a 60s & later system with minor changes and a GOOD flushing.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have R134a running in my '72 Eldo, and it is working well.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

harvey b

I have a 05 ford pickup,it uses r134a as a refrigerant,i had it apart one time to clean out the orfice tube,didnt have the 134a to put back in it,used one of the replacement gasses that i bought at a local parts shop,freeze 12 i think its called,it works better then the 134a,man that stuff is cold :o,its been in there for 5 years and i have never had any problems with it at all,i have used it on lots of cars since and it always works good,it might be worth a look if you are doing a conversion. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Bill,
You are asking about a product called "Envirosafe" not R-134a.  This issue has been discussed several times in this forum and a search should easily bring it up.
Although the Manufacturer is slow to admit it, this product is 99% Hydrocarbons (Propane/Butane) and 1% "Proprietary". Now Propane (R-290)and Isobutane (R-600a) are accepted refrigerants IN SYSTEMS DESIGNED FROM THE VERY BEGINNING FOR THEM, their chemical and physical characteristics do not always comply with the requirements of an automotive refrigeration system designed and refined to use R-12.
Hose and seal incompatibility, oil miscibility ( the ability of oil to mix with the refrigerant) and oil circulation, incompatibilities with the copper and other metallic components of the system are a few of the issues.
R-12 is still around albeit getting a bit pricey at $75.00 per pound (in 30 pound drums), but a system that is tight will need a minimum amount of refrigerant (probably less than 1/2 pound yearly).
Don't get me wrong I am licensed to use R-290 and R-600a and I do but only in systems specifically designed for them
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

Bill,

Look around on eBay or Craig’s list for people selling the small cans of R-12.

I have R-12 in my 70 DeVille and in the 70 Eldo.
Blows ice cold.
I have 134 in my 76 Eldo and it blows cold but not like either of my 70’s.

Put some dye in it to see if you have any leaks.
Also you have to drive it on the road for everything to start working.
I had my DeVille our last week and it wasn’t blowing through the dash vents, just coming out at the floor.
I drove it for about 10 minutes and it magically starting working as designed.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Brian ,
     I really think my problem is in the expansion valve . I am getting frost all over my low pressure line tight up the the expansion valve .   I figure it out pretty soon .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS